Hurricane, gas in car, none in generator. What to do?

How the heck do you get the gas from a car these days?

Can't siphon, too many restrictions.

Is there a drain plug in the bottom of the gas tank?

If so, how about a valve replacement?

Or, a way to place a 'T' in the gas line and use the fuel pump to pump it out?

Looking for a solution for this vexing problem.

In Florida and hurricane season is not far off.

Have you solved this problem?

Reply to
BoyntonStu

Why not just get a small suction pump?

See

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The problem these days isn't so much "getting the fuel out of the tank" as "getting the hose INTO the tank so you *CAN* get the fuel out" - So many anti-siphoning things are in place nowdays that getting the end of the hose close enough to the gas in the tank to pump/siphon/otherwise get it out is close to impossible.

Which, on the one hand, is a good thing, since it keeps the gas-raiders from emptying your tank on the sly, but on the other hand, is a severe pain in the backside for anyone who has a legitimate reason to siphon or otherwise get it out.

Personally, if I needed to get the gas out of my car's tank, I'd pop the fuel line off the carb - a simple "squeeze ring" type connection on this car - stick an extension of some sort on it, and turn on the ignition (without starting the engine) to run the in-tank fuel pump until my container was full.

Trying to siphon out of the tank would be all but impossible due to the car having been made at pretty much the absolute peak of the anti-siphon hardware additions - First the little spring-loaded flap-thingy over the hole, then further down the pipe, the "anti-hose" spring widget, then at the bottom of the pipe, a 180 degree bend, and at the bottom of that, just before the fill-pipe enters the tank, a fairly stout chunk of metal grill-work that NO hose over 1/8 inch is going to get through.

With all the "fun" in the fill-pipe, I'd call this car PRETTY MUCH siphon-proof...

(Which just means that a determined gas thief is going to bring an oil drain pan and a screwdriver, and punch a hole in the bottom of the gas tank...)

Reply to
Don Bruder

We went down this topic some time back. A permanently mounted valve or such is, IMO, not too wise. Yes, it has been done, and can be done, but in that one in a million chance that you might get a leak and blow yourself up, it is not a risk I feel like taking.

We get enough advanced warning of storms nowadays that it doesnt take much planning to fill up an approved gasoline storage can. I know, there are hazards inherent with this as well.

Reply to
hls

Filling a couple of 5 gallon gallon gas cans at the local fillery seems a much simpler solution.

Reply to
PauL

The conscientious ones avoid making a mess. When they have filled their bucket, they avoid letting the remaining gas run into the storm drains by throwing a match under the car.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Since you will need transportation after the storm and gas stations will likely be closed, draining your car to run a generator seems rather shortsighted. If fuel is a concern just store 15 or 20 gallons of gas at the house.

Reply to
John S.

OK I've used 20 gallons and the electricity is still off.

I have 2 cars and both gas tanks are filled.

The gas stations are closed.

No what?

Reply to
BoyntonStu