I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996. The car has a problem. After driving about 20 miles, wnen stopped; car would not start again. I would have to wait for a while. Apparently it is only after it cools off a little bit; I can start it again. I never have a problem early in the morning.

The mechanic so far has changed: Batery. Distribution cap Distributor Rotor Spark plugs I beleive he has changed evrything there is to change, but could not fix it.

The electronic diagnostic test he brought car to was about $80.00. It came back and was told that changing catalityc converter can help. That is about $500.00. The mechanic gave up, and said I should bring it to Toyota dealer for electronic test. Then tell results to mechanic.

Toyota service advised me not to do that, but just bring car to them and they guarantee they will fix it. One thing they do not say is how much it could be.

So, the friend of mine said; "go by "solenoid; it is pretty cheap. Replace the old one. It is pretty easy job to do???"

I beleive this is what he said. I called Toyota parts and service . They say the solenoid for this car is part of starter. Is not sold separate. I called AUTO ZONE parts store. They say "SOLENOID SWITCH is about $60.00 and comes separate.

Any suggestions?

subject: I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

Reply to
Mark

Well, you need to clarify a little here. When you say it does not start, does that mean it cranks over, but doesn't actually fired up and run, or does that mean it doesn't even crank over? When cold, if it cranks over and starts, then you get out of the car, go into the store and do what you have to, come out and try starting it again, and doesn't....it sounds more like you have a venting problem. Could also possibly be the fuel pump is giving you trouble, but unlikely. If if just plain doesn't turn over, which could happen seemingly at random, that could be your starter. It may have a weak spot or dead area.... sometimes rapping it (the starter that is)lightly with a hammer will help get you going, after which you will need to replace the starter, but it really sounds like the first case....

Good Luck

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear