I think I messed up my engine?!

I just ran over a curb and I think I messed up my engine! Now when I shift the gears the light doesn't move all the way to the park slot. The car parks but the light doesn't move all the way to where the park light is supposed to light up.

Can someone tell me what they think is wrong with my car? And if I even did mess it up or not? Could it be something else?

Is this something that I should take in to get fixed and how much would it cost? (any type of estimate would help)

Please please let me know what one of you think, I really appreciate it! :)

-Ida

Reply to
ida.montes

Well, you didn't tell us what kind of car, so I'll assume a 1932 Nash Ambassador.

I had a similar problem when a transmission support rusted out on my

1989 Grand Marquis.
Reply to
clifto

Ohhh sorry! It's a 2006 Ford Mustang.

-Ida

Reply to
ida.montes

What was this curb and how did you hit it?

For it to cause any damage to the drivetrain it would have to be one hell of a curb and you would have had to get a good part of the car up and over it. I just don't see it happening.

Anyway crawl under there and see if the transmission has scraped/hit anything. I should be obvious and fresh damage.

My guess is the indicator problem unreleated to hitting the curb. Hitting a curb hard enough does damage to wheel bearings, suspension components, etc.

Reply to
Brent P

The curb was just a regular low curb. I was in a drive through moving up to get food and I didn't realize the curb was there. (It was dark)

When I was over the curb the weird thing was that I couldnt put the car in reverse to get out of the curb. So I got out of my car and looked at it- and my car was just literally sitting on that curb.

So I got back in and kept it in drive and it let me move forward and get off the curb.

Hope this helps, do you still think that it's unrelated??? Thanks!

Reply to
ida.montes

What do you mean 'get out of the curb' ???

If you hit the transmission on concrete and caused damage there should be more symptoms. But you can go under the car and look if anything was scraped on concrete.

Reply to
Brent P

Low to the ground Mustangs don't like high curbs. F150s & Explorers can go over curbs.

Was the curb very high? Its possible your shift linkage might of gotten damaged when you drove up over the curb. If you couldn't shift into reverse while on the curb your linkage might of been jammed agains't the concrete. You better have it inspected.

Good luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Marsh Monster

======= =======

I'll tell you how to fix it......

if......

you'll lie to me and tell me how you own a 4 foot prybar and car lift to get it in the air.

cuz....

i wuddn't want yer arse fix'n to try what ima fix'n to describe....while the cars on a scissors jack...and you using a claw hammer and a broom stick.

~:~ MarshMonster ~tranny tech~ ~sips his mushroom tea....~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

HE? I would expect Ida Montes would be a lady...

Reply to
<HLS

He could try the old poor city boy routine of running two tires on one side up on that same curb. Quick and dirty. And I do mean dirty.

Reply to
Steve Austin

That sounds like you tagged the shifter linkage on the curb and bent something. You should really take it in and have it checked out.

It could be a simple adjustment or you might need new linkage parts depending on what got damaged.

It isn't really safe to drive when the shifter doesn't register the correct gear.

Mike

Mike Romain

You bent the shift linkage. This linkage goes from your shifter inside the car to your transmission and moves back and forth as you change from Park to Drive. (think of your old ten speed bike and how it changed gears.. the parts are totally different but the concept is the same)

You should get this looked at. If your car is not all the way in park then it could possibly pop out of park and roll away when you least expect it. It would be a tragedy if it rolled down a hill while you were in the Piggly Wiggly and wiped out a bus full of pregnant nuns....

No idea how much this will cost you... Hopefully they can just bend it back and you will be good as new!

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

---If I need to get new linkage parts do you think that is expensive?? Just curious... Thanks!

Reply to
ida.montes

Sorry that I'm not familiar with Car terms, I am a girl! If you are trying to imply that I'm a country person who can not talk, well that is just rude. I am actually in Graduate school, which means I did graduate from a university with my bachelors degree.

Please do not be rude to me, I am just trying to figure out what could be wrong with my car.

Thank you.

Reply to
ida.montes

I think he is trying to say that to evaluate the problem with the car, you would have to get underneath and make an assessment of the damage.

If you are not accustomed to this type of work, it could be dangerous and you might not recognize the problem in any case.

You should have a professional or at least a skilled hobbyist mechanic look at this. It is impossible to guess what this may cost without having checked the damage. It might be minor.....or not.

Reply to
<HLS

I have no idea what Mr. Monster was trying to say but as a country person I take offense at your interpretation of what he was trying to say.

-jim

Reply to
jim

damn. sometimes i'm afraid that i sound that like for real.

Reply to
mr_mushroom

No need to be afraid that like aint that scary.

-jim

Reply to
jim

lol. i went to washington state once and this little group of girls in a bar were tripping out on my friend and i. one of them called me at around 4am to make me say "ya'll". so i guess it really isn't anything to be 'scared' of.

Reply to
mr_mushroom