I want one...

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Any historical reasons why it resembles a 39 Ford, or is that all coincidental?

-J

Reply to
phaeton

Oh nevermind, I guess it doesn't. I'm high on smack. Still a nice truck, though.

-J

Reply to
phaeton

Ah, yes, the Coupe Express. quite possibly the most beautiful pickup truck ever made. I don't blame you for wanting one, but if I come across one for a reasonable price, I apologize in advance for not calling you. (I'll probably rip the motor out and put in a later 245 flathead six though - or if it's a real dog, a Stude 289 V-8)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It kinda does, but it's actually based on a contemporary Studebaker Dictator passenger car, which predates the '39 Ford. I think the Coupe Express itself dates to '37, but I can't say when that pass car body style was introduced, if it was '37 or earlier. (My knowledge of Stude history is best from 1955-1966; I'm not really an expert on prewar vehicles.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hachiroka,

With my Japanese Text Decoder I was able to view the text and see the great picture. The Studebaker Museum in Indiana has 2 car like pick up trucks on display. Production was very low and trucks production came to a halt after only a few years.

harryface

91 Bonneville 320,877 05 Park Avenue 93,812
Reply to
Harry Face

It's funny how that up until the semi-recent "truck craze" that pickup trucks were considered "unsightly" and it was a serious community offense to park one out in front of your house.

-J

Reply to
phaeton

I must be a redneck then (hey, THERE'S a shocker) because where/when I grew up, everyone had at least one pickup or SUV (before the term was coined) in their driveway. My dad had both a '73 Chevy pickup and a '76 IH Scout II. (still has 'em both, actually, although the Scout hasn't passed safety in a decade or more - typical IH rust.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I made the mistake of installing DirecTv, and getting TCM. One of the "One Reel" features they showed was a ferrier (Horse-shoer for those in Rio Linda) going around shoeing horses for movie stars, and he had one of these with a cap on it. I couldn't figure out what it was, but it looked like a Merc of a Lincoln from the late 30's. Well, they didn't make a truck so I Googled 1939 truck, and one of the first things that came up was a stude! YUP! That's it. With the cap it looked like a car. What a cool looking truck!

I fugured if I posted this in 'rec' you Stude guys would pick up (no pun intended) on it! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Thanks a lot, guy. Why do you say that? I think it's a cool looking truck!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hudson had a cool pickup too back in the day, although theirs was more of a full size truck rather than an ur-El Camino like the Stude CE

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Actually Mercury did make trucks. Maybe not as far back as the 30s, but I think from just before WWII on up through the mid 60s. They were obviously almost identical to the Ford counterpart, but nonetheless, Merc they be.

I think the "pickup truck taboo" ended in the 60s when people were putting camper shells on them or towing boats and stuff. That transitioned them from a farm/work/delivery vehicle to a recreation vehicle for the more affluent.

-J

Reply to
phaeton

That's a very sweet ride. Generally I don't like cars/trucks of that era but that truck is really nice.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Back in the 60's, even in our lower middle class neighborhood, my dad carved out a space in the alley behind our house so he wouldn't have to park his truck in the front. I can't think of anyone else on our block who even owned a truck, at least, none that were visible from the front. No one had a garage to hide them in either.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

phaet> Nice!

AMuzi

And no I don't live in Texas. Though I'm sure it'd be a nice place to visit this time of year.

-J

Reply to
phaeton

If you look on further, you see that I saw one in am old movie. SWEET! What a great looking truck. If you redid it today with a modern suspension I bet it would handle good as well.

Had a chance to pick up (again, no pun intended...) one of these for a HUNDRED BUCKS! The steering wheel said, "1903-1953 Ford 50th Anniversayr"

I was 16 and didn't know squat about cars. Been kicking myself ever since...

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I still don't like them, but they have their uses. Especiallly when they look as good as this Stude.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Before I realized the one I saw was a Stude, I found this:

Yeah, that's kind of neat lookin' too!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

LOL! Usually I'm pointing to a sports car or a 'classic' Toyota.

Fooled you this time, eh?

Hey, wait. Last one was one of those "new" Ford vans (that has been on sale in Europe for years). This is certainly cooler than that van.

And once was a Divco milk truck. I STILL want one of those!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B