ID SBC Rear Main Seal Type?

Hi, I've got a '34 Tudor with a 350 SBC (pics at -->

) The rear seal leaks. I don't know what year block I have. I'm trying to identify the rear seal type (1 piece or 2 piece). I was told that if the dip stick is on the left side it is a two piece. I forgot to ask "which left side?".

How do I ID the seal type?

I hear you can replace the 2 piece without removing the crank. Any body done this? Any advice?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim

Pull the pan.

Offset the seal ends from the bearing halves.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

"Stephen Bigelow" wrote

Why would you do that?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

So there's no direct in-line path for oil to leak.

Kind of like staggering roof shingles from one course to the next (kind of).

Reply to
Neil Nelson

"Neil Nelson" wrote

Never had that problem when dealing with those older two piece rear main seals. I would have to say that staggering the two pieces would make it all but impossible to get the seals in right unless you knew what you were doing. If the engine is out, different story, but if the fellow is doing it "in vehicle", I'd stick with the factory method.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Definitely not do-able on a rope seal. ;-)

Easily do-able on a Neoprene seal, even upside down with oil dripping on ya...

Seal ends only need to be staggered 1/8" or so.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks for all the tips.

Are there any seals better or worse then the others?

Any are the choices besides GM OEM.

Any premium parts available?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to