Idle problem (IAC motor?)

hello on my 1998 dodge stratus with the v6 i'm having an idle problem. sometimes once the car warms up it will idle around 750rpm and other times it stays around 1500rpm i checked the iac motor off the car with the electrical connector on it and i did see movement by the plunger but how much is it suppose to move in or out? the car was cold and i saw it move maybe 1/2 inch or so.my haynes book says if it moves it probably is ok,and at $130.00 i don't want to rush changing it. thanks Randy

Reply to
randy pape

Get yourself a vacuum guage and check for vacuum leaks.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

ok Steve ,thanks

Reply to
randy pape

Probable vac leak somewhere.

Reply to
« Paul »

Reply to
randy pape

Usually when you buy a vacuum guage it comes with instructions or a chart that will tell you what the different readings mean. Mine has it written on the face of the guage. Also I think the Haynes manuals detail how to use a vacuum guage, and I'm sure there are plenty of "how to" articles on the 'net.

If you find there is a leak somewhere, check all your vacuum hoses for cracks, loose connections, breaks, kinked, collapses, etc. Check the intake pipe and air filter box for holes/blockage/loose joints/etc. If all checks out, maybe it's a gasket somewhere. Take a can of throttle body cleaner, other people probably use other things, and spray it around the mating surfaces of the intake manifolds. If there is an intake vacuum leak the cleaner will be sucked into the hole and the engine speed will change. I think I've heard people use propane as well.

Your timing could also be out, but a vacuum guage should be helpful in determining if it's a vacuum leak or a timing issue.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

My father taught me to use WD-40, which works very well but makes a mess. The advantage of using propane (and it only takes a little) is that it leaves no residue. The disadvantage is that you can't see it. I switched to using an unlit propane torch a decade or so ago and my engines look much nicer than my father's.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to
randy pape

You might want to inspect the throttle bore and plates for carbon build up. You can clean them with spray throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush if necessary.

Reply to
NickySantoro