ignition question

The facts: Brand new Kia Rio, everything seems fine. But very hard to start, sometimes doesn't start at all. After a lot of cranking, I start to worry, turn it off, wait a moment, try again. Then it starts. This leads to an hypothesis, which pans out: if it hasn't been run for a few hours, if I just try to start it, it won't start. If I crank it once, no matter how briefly, quickly turn it off, and then start it again, it starts right away.

Also, if I've been driving it awhile, and then turn it off, after a few minutes of rest, it will start quickly. It would *seem* as if it is having a hard time starting *cold* except for the mystery that it will start instantly if you do the trick: switch it on, then off, then on again, quickly--no matter how cold it is.

Initially thought it was fuel line, tried a gas additive, no change. Then thought it was the battery, but Sears checked it out--the battery passes all tests with flying colors.

I'm looking for an hypothesis, because the word from the dealer shop is "we won't fix it because we are unable to replicate the problem." He also said "sometimes it just needs a tap to the gas pedal." But it made absolutely no difference--I could crank as long as I like, give it as much or as little gas as I like, and it wouldn't turn over unless and until I shut it off for a second and then try again. And the second try always works--with no pressure on the gas pedal at all.

Reply to
Kevin Hill

how old is this car? souds like a typical fuel pump check valve issue. fuel pressure is draining from the lines, and it needs a few seconds to pressurize the line. after the car has sat for a few hours, try cycling the key on-off a few times, and then crank it. if it starts rightup, it's the fuel pump.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

Gee, so you're saying their 100,000 mile warranty is worth a crap 'cause they won't fix it? Sarcasm aside, if you can reproduce the problem, the dealer can also. Show them how. tad

Reply to
ottertailfamily

To add a tip. The fuel pressure regulator could freeze up and fuel spilling back to the tank. He can try lock clamping the return line.

Reply to
Koji San

Good suggestions, so far. I'd be ready to find another dealer by now. These guys don't seem to be interested in solving your problem. Be sure to explain if you park inside or outside and expect to leave it overnight. I agree that it sounds like a fuel system problem.

Paul in Dayton

Reply to
F&P

fuel pump relay or fuel pump check valve problem. take it to the dealer and park it in front of the garage door and lock the key in it if they're not going to fix it.

PS, that whole 'tap the gas pedal' is a load of bullSHIT

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

You have a very common problem, I see it at least once a week. The problem is a leaking fuel regulator, and/or faulty fuel pressure sensor, never the less, both are part of the fuel pump assembly, which is replaced as a unit. I believe there is a TSB on this issue, and if the dealership still is unhelpful, I can dig out the TSB number, armed with this the dealership shouldn't be able to ignore you any longer, unless they want to face the wrath of KIA's corporate office.

D. Jeremy Dyck Certified Journeyman Auto Technician Planet Kia Brandon, Mb, Canada

Reply to
Jeremy