Ignition switches for chevy corsica 1989

I was wanting to know how do you remove the ignition switch cylinder from the steering column of a 1989 Chevy Corsica?

Reply to
Jollymonjb

I need to know how to remove the ignition switch cylider from the steering column...Please help..Thanks

Reply to
Jollymonjb

Reply to
Shep

Remove wheel,( may need a puller) , remove lock plate, (helps to have a compressing tool here) remove plastic horn plate, pull T.S. switch out of the way, remove lock retaining bolt (small torx) ,change the lock, go backwards of above to put back together. Not a big deal if ya got the tools or easy access to them.

Reply to
pater

Removing the cylinder is not easy, and it's even harder if you happen to have a tilt steering wheel. Basically, you remove the steering wheel, then remove the entire steering column, and start dismantling until you get down to the lock screw that holds the cylinder in place. I strongly advise you to get the 1989 factory shop manual if you attempt this repair.

Reply to
SN

If you remove the entire steering column, your an idiot. Tilt or not, the lock cylinder is right behind the T.S. switch, no need to go any further than that. Actually one of the easiest to do IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. If you don,t, take it somewhere & pay someone who does. Good luck.

Reply to
pater

I don't see how tilt steering comes into play with the ignition cylinder. If the column is anything like the one in my 89 firebird, you get to the ignition switch before you get to the tilt mechanism.

If they are similiar, I've written a write up on it.

Bruce Chang

Not hard, takes me about 15-20 minutes to replace. You'll need a couple of "special" tools, just a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor, each runs about $10 at your local AutoZone. Here's a pictorial that should get you down to where you need to go:

You'll need a basic set of hand tools, including a basic torx bit set. Most of the generic tool kits nowadays come with all you'll need.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan