Infiniti G20 Transmission slip, Overdrive light flashing.

Have 2000 Infiniti G20, ~ 30 K miles on it. Car was running fine, got 25+ MPG all the time. After the 30K mile service visit, the tranny started slipping. MPG is now ~ 21 MPG. The tranny slipping is intermittent, and after a severe episode the overdrive light will flash for about 5 to 10 seconds. Took it back to dealer. They found no problem, didn't seem to know what the flashing OD lite means, and charged $160 for a flush and fill on the tranny!

It is still happening. Called Infiniti, and they will not say what the flashing light means- must rely on dealer to diagnose problem. The only good news is that with each visit appointment, I get to drive a G35 for a day while they ponder the G20 problems. The car is under warranty....

Any ideas what the story is? What does the flashing OD lite mean??

Thanks...

Reply to
Kellybob1

Approximately 8/20/03 12:15, Kellybob1 uttered for posterity:

Wonder if some genius added the wrong transmission fluid. Does the repair bill from this service detail anything suspicious? Or a tranny adjust that busted it?

Any idea what fluid?

If it stayed overnight, next time you go in, ask the dealer about getting your lemon replaced if your state has a 3 strikes type lemon law.

Usually means someone is kicking the overdrive disable on and off.

Wonder if the tech boogered up the wiring to the transmission from the transmission control unit?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Lon Stowell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Or, if they dinged an internal sensor while changing the filter/fluid.

Reply to
Anthony

What did i miss here? The car is under WARRANTY, and they charged you $160 dollars and did NOT fix it? Whats wrong with this picture? I would be on the telephone to national CUstomer service bitching up a storm. Granted, fluid changes are not a usual warranty item. But if it was changed before it normally would be to fix a problem that was under warranty, i think you might have a case for reimbursement.

Problem #2, If the dealer had no idea what the flashing light meant, they were either ignorant or trying to lie to you and make you go away. Either way, i would be finding out what the lemon laws are in your state. Do a google search and see what you find with other people having problems.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

The dealer tried to pull something like this on my I30t when it was still in warranty ("Well we can't find anything wrong, but maybe if you buy this expensive service it will fix the problem..."). You didn't by any chance take it to Crest in Plano, Tx?

The fix was to take it to a different dealer who diagnosed the problem immediately and fixed it under warranty, without trying to sell me anything.

The flashing overdrive light means the transmission failed its self-test. As I look through the service manual for an '02, it looks like most of the conditions that set a flashing OD light are electrical problems (wrong voltage reading from some sensor). The manual also says the code is stored in the OBD-II as well and they should have been able to read it out.

These guys (your dealer) are a bunch of Bozos. Find a different dealer.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone had access to the service manual. I see you are an ieee memeber- I also am! The car started doing worse things this morning- got stuck in one gear for about 20 miles! ( 2nd or 3rd... not sure which.) Overdrive did not work at all. After a short stop ( 5 minutes) the car started, flashed the OD light 13 times, then ran just fine for the last mile to my office. I think the dealer ( Discover Inf in Escondido, CA) is baffled by the intermittent nature of the problem. They ask a million "diagnostic" questions, then seem ignore the answers. Then when they can't reproduce the problem with

15 minutes of effort, they give up and go to the next vehicle.

The customer service hot line was a joke. They refused to provide any answers to questions about what the flashing OD light indicates, and said that there was no supervisor or higher authority to discuss this with! I am thinking that buying this Infiniti was a mistake. They have such a high reputation for good service... I guess that might be in other parts of the country? Thank you again for your help! Bob Kelly Sr. Electrical Design Engineer RF/Video/Analog San Diego, CA " You don't always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get!" " When someone with experience meets someone with money, the two usually trade places!"

Reply to
Kellybob1

The transmission entered self-protection mode or safe mode. This could be triggered by overheat or slippage, etc. There are definitely problems with the transmission. OD flashing should mean the transmission control unit has detected something wrong - just like check engine light.

Reply to
Xi

Update on G20 tranny .. Dealer replaced the tranny control module... Still has problems. They now "think" it is the tranny, so will install a replacement. I am nervous with their lack of diagnostic skills! Might have more info in a couple days. Bob Kelly Sr. Electrical Design Engineer RF/Video/Analog San Diego, CA " You don't always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get!" " When someone with experience meets someone with money, the two usually trade places!"

Reply to
Kellybob1

Does anyone know where to add tranny fluid?

Reply to
jaddams57

Maybe. OP has had eleven years to ponder that problem.

Reply to
AMuzi

My guess is that the owner is not supposed to add tranny fluid and that it's a dealer service. Heck, the trend now days is to not have a dipstick to check the level. The trend now days is a sealed system.

I am so ready for electric cars.

Reply to
dsi1

on a 2000 G20?

the tube where the dipstick goes.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I wouldn't be surprised if the tranny isn't the problem.

Just went to a training class last month. Had a scenario where the persons transmission was slipping while driving down the road. Wound up being a bad coil on the engine causing the transmission computer to reboot causing the slipping.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Now that engines and transmissions are controlled by a computer you can get a wide range of puzzling symptoms. I can tell when my mass air flow sensor was disconnected because the transmission would give a bump when shifting from rev to D. There would also be a jolt when the car downshifted to 3rd when slowing down. These days, you have to think outside the box - way outside! :-)

Reply to
dsi1