ingination will not turn off grand am

Used a friends late 1990s model grand am. All was fine as we stopped for gas minutes from home. Afterwards started the car and drove away, when I noticed the highbeam indicator on. Tried to turn off but it wouldn't respond. Then noticed we had no wipers, heat, radio or anything else. At home decided to turn the car off and then on in hopes of resetting compture. Still nothing, but this time the key in the ingition would not turn off. Kept trying but the key would not turn off. When turned forward you would hear the start grind as the car was still running. Evenually in hopes of turning the car off disconnected the battery cables, but as excepted it didn't help as the car was running and the battery wasn't needed. Finally figured out by turning the key forward seemed to short the system and the car turned off, but the key was still locked in the on position. Left it for the nite with the hope of having better luck in the morning, but unfortunately had none. Reconnected the battery, gas automatically started to pump with power flashing. Turned the key forward then started the car, but all was the same. Shortly after had to do the same to turn car off. It would be much appreciated if anyone could offer any assists. thanks kindly.

Reply to
gold4me

Sounds to me like something has come apart in the ignition switch. If I'm understanding correctly, you have no accessories working, and you can't physically turn the ignition to the "off" position. If I were a betting man I'd say that inside the electrical portion of the switch something has gone seriously Tango Uniform and that you should look into replacing that.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sounds like a bad switch. There was a big recall for late 1990s model grand ams to replace the ignition switch because they would catch fire.

Reply to
« Paul »