injector pulse width

I don't have a meter or anything that will read injector pulse-width. But I do have a dvom that has a dwell setting. My understanding is dwell and duty-cycle are very closely related, so that I could read the dwell as percentage-duty-cycle and be very close. I believe duty-cycle would tell me mostly what I needed to know about the injector activity. I don't have a problem just curious. Most general auto manuals don't give a pulse-width spec or duty-cycle spec for that matter on injectors, factory shop manuals may give that, don't know. As long as I can access duty-cycle then I know what the pulse-width is doing, correct? The duty-cycle goes up, the pulse-width is increasing. I read th injector duty-cycle on my old GM v6, yesterday, the engine was at operating temp and idling, the dvom on the 4 cylinder dwell setting showed 2.3, I read that as percent duty-cycle, I think to convert to duty-cyle it would be a couple of tenths higher, but close enough. I did see a spec for injector duty-cycle on warm engine at idle, at around 2%, so I guess I'm close. I guess as a diyer, if you can't get pulse-width, then duty-cycle will show you what the injectors are doing? I'm not saying duty-cycle is better, but if your funds limited lik mine, then you use what you got. If what I posted isn't correct, then please inform. thanks

Reply to
jd

A 2% negative duty cycle means the signal driving the frequency valve turns on the valve 2% of the time, then off for the remaining 98% of the time.

Reply to
Indian Summer

I saw this formula for injector duty-cycle. rpm*ms/1200=duty-cycle. If you want to find injector pulse-width, work the formula backwards. I tried several combinations of rpm--ms--duty-cycle and it seems to work. Of course if you have a scanner or something that shows all that, you don't have to fool with a formula. I just thought it was interesting. thanks

Reply to
jd