Inspecting AC system on vehicle before summer months

I owned my Honda Accord for over 12 years. 3 of these years, I was caught off guard when my AC system was less than adequate when the summer months hit. The best example was when I was driving to Las Vegas in 116 degree weather and discovered the hard way that my AC was'nt up to the job. One year it was a problem with the evaporator, the two other years it just needed a refrigerant refil. I would like to prevent these suddent discoveries in the future. Before the summer months hit, I will ask my mechanic to inspect the AC system. Should this be done every year? Can this be done when the weather is still cooler? What specifically should I have my mechanic check. How many hours of labor should this cost me? Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

If it is the same car, you have indications of a leak since it has had to be topped up with refrigerant. Therefore you should do it every year, until and unless you have the leak found and repaired. If the leak gets worse, you may not be able to hold a charge for a season.

He can check it in cool weather, either recharging it according to the pressures, or by removing the refrigerant, measuring it, and recharging to specs.

He should also check the condition of the condensor (and radiator) to make sure it is not blocked by grass, dirt, etc.

He should check the belt for condition and tension. It is important that the fan(s) are working properly...if they dont, the engine can overheat.

I dont know what it will cost you as that will depend upon the going flat rates in your area, amount of refrigerant replaced, and problems identified. Last time I had this done (when I replaced my evaporator core) it was about $100-150.

Reply to
hls