Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Jasper Holmes was the real hero of that operation. Rochefort knew that the Japanese were going to attack *somewhere* (but not where) from decrypting IJN (Imp. Jap. Navy) radio traffic (an impressive feat - Rochefort was a real ace). Holmes had the idea to put out an uncoded broadcast that Midway was running out of water. Sure enough, soon they decrypted an IJN transmission that said "AF short of water" and they knew the attack was aimed at Midway.

The Battle of Midway should be renamed the Battle of Miracles because there were at least five different times when God or whoever's in charge smiled on us and gave us breaks (like decoding the term AF) that turned the tide of battle. Three IJN carriers were sunk because a pilot got a glimpse of a destroyer moving at flank speed so he followed, assuming it was returning to the fleet. He was right and minutes later the pride of the IJN flat-top fleet was heading for the bottom of the sea.

Drop 'em off in the parking lot of the local county jail. I don't even think the "key trick" is against the law, per se. Still, as one poster suggested, I wouldn't use anything easily traceable in making up the tags. You could even get creative and use an etcher to write "Safe" or "Gun Locker" or "Pot Grow Room" on the keys to make their return more likely. You're sure to attract a vengeful sort of person that way. It's a good way to get revenge without ever having to approach the target's property or car. These days, with everyone having a nanny-cam or CCTV, you never know who's watching. Of course, these suggestions are purely for entertainment purposes and I would

*never* suggest anyone take revenge on a low-life neighbor who's making your life hell. (-"

I often wonder if the drops we've seen in the last ten years in various crime rates hasn't been, in part, attributable to people knowing they're being watched. Of course, it doesn't seem to bother "flash mobsters" but from the looks of it, they're mostly just stupid kids acting the way stupid kids do.

I seem to remember doing dumb stuff when I was young but that's the benefit of a failing memory. You forget the stupid and bad stuff as well as the important stuff. I can still remember my family's telephone number from the

1950's (Cloverdale-6-4033) but have trouble with new ones. Perhaps that's speed dial's fault. (-:
Reply to
Robert Green

Apparently, god didn't like American torpedo bombers.

Three IJN carriers were sunk because a pilot got a glimpse of a

Reply to
willshak

Apparently, god didn't like American torpedo bombers.

Three IJN carriers were sunk because a pilot got a glimpse of a

Reply to
willshak

Didn't much care for American torpedoes either. Don't remember the details now, but way too many duds. Read that in S.E. Morrison extracts and elsewhere.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Quite true. One of the more realistic sub sims that I've played even accounted for the large percentage of duds that mostly Pacific sub commanders had to put up with early in the war. The worst thing you could hear on the hydrophone after letting loose a fish or two was the horrible dull bell-like clang of a dud torpedo hitting the hull of an enemy ship and failing to explode. In many of those cases the clang was soon followed by a torrent of depth charges which didn't have much of dud problem at all and sank a number of US subs because of the duds. Part of the problem is that commanders of the sunken subs usually didn't have time to report the duds - they were too busy to try to stay alive and that helped mask the problem for a while.

Robert Green