intermittent window nose 05 Convertable Sebring & $101.5 1-hour diagnostic fee

On my last visit in June I gave the service writer a copy of this:

When the passenger side door and rear windows are in a full up position there is a rattle, tapping or knocking that occurs when going over rough/bumpy road surfaces. This rattle will disappear if either the front or rear passenger side window are lowered any amount, or if pressure is applied to the top rear of the passenger door window when both are in the full up position.

It was returned with a note to the effect: "problem not found, functions normally"

The dealer is efficient in that when I made my appointment for this friday the service writer must have reviewed my file and the confirm email states:

"Other Diagnosis/Repair - HEARING THE SAME NOISE THAT HE REPORTED BEFORE - $101.5 (1-hour diagnostic fee only)"

I plan to hand the service writer the following, unless I get a better suggestion here, Thanks for any responses

noise is intermittent and is still present at times. When it is present , sometimes noise will disappear when raising rear window while pressing outward on rear window. if fee is $101.5 I will want it noted on service record request , but will not want it diagnosed at this time

Reply to
Mr.X

Rattles may only be covered under warranty for first year of ownership but if reported during that year and not fixed you shouldn't have to pay a diagnostic fee in my opinion.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Shep

There could be a few possibilities on your rattle.

Being a convertible there are going to be issues associated with body stress when you go over large bumps or railroad tracks.

Freezing cold temperatures also add to a convertibles noises.

This pressure your applying to the glass to eliminate the noise - Are you pushing outward on the glass??

First thing try putting a rubber protectant on the weatherstrips and drive down a road where the noise occurs. I'm wondering if your hearing more of a squeak that a rattle.

When you have the top up and the windows completely closed, does the glass look like it makes good contact with the weatherstrips on the top frame and on the vertical weatherstrip on the quarter window?

Any air leak noises? Hissing or water leaks?

Open the door and slip a piece of paper over the top of the window glass, close the door so the paper is stuck between the window and weatherstrip in the top frame. Try dragging the paper from the front to the back of the glass.

If its hard to pull but gets easier as you get further back, there could be an alignment issue with the door, the glass or the right front weatherstrip on the top frame .

Put a piece of paper between the quarter window's vertical weatherstrip and the vertical edge of the door glass. Is the pressure between the mating surfaces uniform as you drag the paper up or down.

Could be the rear quarter window needs adjustment.

Has the car been in an accident?

Another test, try driving over a section of road where the noise occurs. Have a friend in the car, once you get to where to the area where the noise occurs have him pull in on the passenger door slightly to see if the noise goes away.

Some vehicles are equipped with a zero adjust door striker. Like my Buick has. And you may not be able to adjust the door striker.

One other piece of advice have all the windows down so they are out of contact range when the top is raised and locked. Never force lock the top when the glass is fully up, it could damage the weatherstrips.

Good Luck

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

No, he's climbing out onto the roof of the moving vehicle and pushing from the outside.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

Reply to
Ugly

I have to agree, especially with a Sebring. My wife had one and it was the most "rattly" car we ever owned, even for a convertible. Hers was a

1996 though. I believe the rear windows might have some adjustment in them so you can make them tighter. Try posting the issue on the following forum:

They helped me with a whole plethora of Sebring convertible issues I was having with ours. There seems to be a lot of little things they are "known" for.

I might suggest putting electrical tape along the tops of the windows after the paper idea and see if the rattling stops. This might tell you if the windows simply aren't going up enough.

Good luck.

Reply to
maxpower_hd

Maybe, maybe not. Ask all the people who have posted here about the sound of water swishing in their fenders. Kind of junky to me.

Reply to
Art

when it's in it's tapping/rattle mode the bump could be the typical cement expansion joint in the pavement to produce the tapping. noise over a RR track I'll accept.

could be a factor, as the noise happened during warmer weather

yep I'm not driving while hanging onto the roof

more of a tapping between the glass frame members or possible the top of the glass and the roof member or something in the roof member when both windows are up

looks good and I took a close look

nope

thought about that but didn't do it yet

will do it if the tapping returns

this is a new off the lot car now with 7k miles

actually roads considered good with minor defects will create the tapping when it's in it's tapping mode

that's a built in feature of the Sebring , it will lower the windows about 2 inches when raising the top

Thanks

Reply to
Mr.X