intro and ford 4.6 timing chain

And let me add, by way of introduction, I don't really save any money fixing my own car anyway. Maybe I thought I saved money at some time and sometimes I may again someday but to fix one (1)car, one and a half bikes (1 1/2) and one boat (1), I have an awfull lot of tools. And that's not enough, I have a library. Both hard copy, books going back to the era of WWI even tho I've never owned a car older than

1949. And digital resources. And the headaches trying to figure out "Is it the engine, or is it the transmission." My brother owned a Dodge 1978 Magnum. This may have been the last of the big blocks, not sure, had a 400 with the Thermo-Quad. Car crapped out on him when he was commuting too much and so he asked me for advice. Of course I was a logical choice since I had properly diagnosed the tranny problem, "Change the oil and filter." So I told him about the computer on top of the aircleaner and maybe another 8 cyl one from a junk yard would work but recommended a new one and so the dealer couldn't get one or it was three weeks or something so what does he do....he buys a Holly carburetor. I think I know what I'm doing one half of the time but I can't explain this genetic thing. I told him "It's the computer." So he buys a carburetor.

I've got a '95 Ford, Crown Vic, 4.6 w/ 4R70W. Engine, Ford dealer short block, has about 67,000 since installed year and a half ago. Think I need to do the timing chain or can it just be the plastic chain guides? Adjusters? Anybody like the after market stuff from Cloyes or Melling? Better to stick with stock?

My big question concerns directions in any manuals I've seen say to remove the oil pan for this job. Can't I just cut the gasket and repair with some exotic silycone?

Thanks for any helpful hints, clues, resources, price guides, suggestions, paraphernalia.

disston

Reply to
disston

I am not sure you know what it takes to do the chains in this car. There are two chains and there are special tools needed to hold the cams in alignment. This is not a simple job.

Reply to
jfrancis311

I have a tool kit for Ford 4,6 overhead cam engines. It has several square stand thingies and some round things with 3/8 drive holes for insertion of ratchet maybe. Or the square hole matches a protrution on the cam shaft? I think it's OTC or it might be Rotunda. Don't have it in front of me.Gee I've never done an overhead cam engine anything but I bought the kit when I first got the car about two years ago.

I've rebuilt many carberators, several auto trannies and two months ago the rear end in this car. The gears were bad from being run without oil, so they whinned. Couldn't stand it anymore. Replaced gears (used set) and new bearings. I was lucky I guess, it fit with very little fiddling but I did measure and I checked with white paint.

1995, 4R70W trannie is coming up soon. has some converter problem, causes shudder mostlly going up hill but car is still very drivable, just have to down shift sometimes. Still have my AOD tools from the 80's so I'm looking for a cheep core to redo. Most cores around here cots $75 but stuff goes up all the time. If I go to a regular junker it's more.

About the only thing I have ever taken to a regular mechanic is the front end alignment, at least any more. I mount and balance my own tires, if I feel like it. I do R&R, body work (that's iffy anymore) and electrical diagnosis.

Yes you are right, I don't know what it takes to do this job. But by the time I'm finished I guarentee I will know. It may take me a little longer the first time but the second time I'll be able to do it along side the highway, at night, if you'll hold the flashlight.

I'm 59 years old and haven't work in a real garage since 1972. I guess I'm an amet..not a professional.

disston ps: I type with two fingers so it takes awhile sometimes to reply.

Reply to
disston

That's okay. I read slow (with two eyes).

Reply to
clifto