is my engine locked up

I was trying to get an old Chevy V8 started that was out of time and it locked up. I thought it was just the starter, but took that off and it works fine. Any ideas?

Reply to
geodav

Foreign object/fluid in a cylinder/cylinders. Bent valve/valves. Broken rod/rods. Flywheel jammed with something.

Reply to
dahpater

Work systematically. First, remove all the spark plugs and see if it will turn over. There could be a condition of hydraulic lock in one or more of the cyliders.

Have someone watch, and if it turns over with the starter with the plugs out, you may see one or more cylinders blowing liquids out. The liquid could be water from a bad gasket or head, or might just be a cylinder full of gasoline.

Reply to
hls

It could be fluid in one or more cylinders or something else.If you have ever had fluid (too much gas or oil) in a lawn mower cylinder, you would know. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

When you say 'out of time', do you mean the ignition timing or the valve timing?

Perhaps you've crashed a piston into a valve somewhere if it is the latter.

Reply to
TomO