Is R12 Freon Allowed on Airliners?

I have a truck up in Kentucky that is low on Freon. I have a few spare cans here in Texas. Just wondering if I would be allowed to pack a couple of the small cans of R-12 in either my airline carryon or checked baggage. Is the stuff flamable?

Reply to
joshhemming

No, it is not flammable. But it is considered to be a compressed gas, or nonpersonal aerosol, and is forbidden.

Reply to
<HLS

snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm writes in article dated 18 Jul 2005

11:42:33 -0700:

The primary risk of taking compressed gas on an airplane is not flammability; it's air displacement. Commercial airline cabins are pressurized at much lower than standard atmospheric pressure, so there is more stress on your container than it was designed for, and if it does spring a leak, it displaces more of your precious air than it would on the ground.

Notice that E-bay sellers do not offer air shipping on R-12.

Ship the stuff UPS-ground; it doesn't cost much.

--Keith Lewis klewis {at} mitre.org The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Keith Lewis

It's not inflammable, but it is a compressed gas. Why don't you call the airline you intend to patronize and ask them?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That is a Transportation Security Administration rule, not an airline option.

Reply to
<HLS

I very much doubt they would allow you on with any type of pressurized container. After the Valuejet disaster the airlines have been very strict. They won't even let you on with an empty non-pressurized fuel container for campers white gas if it has *ever* had fuel in it. They won't even take one full of water.

Ground is the only way to go.

JP

Reply to
JP White