Is the engine blown

I have a low mileage 96 Mustang GT 128k miles. I keep the oil checked although it does use oil between changes. Maybe a month or two ago, the engine light came on and I took it to an auto parts store and they said the code said catalytic converter. The guy said it could be the catalytic converter or something as simple as a rotten hose and to keep driving it might cause lower gas mileage. I kept driving it.

The car seemed to run just fine until....I drove it about 15 miles and stopped to eat. When I got back in the car and tried to start it, it made a loud noise so I let of on the starter. Now it doesn't turn over. I had it towed to the mechanic. Since I had been driving for over a month with the engine light on, I forgot to mention the engine light.

The mechanic said that the engine may be blown. He said when he tried to turn the engine over that it felt "spongy" He seemed unsure why the car wouldn't crank. I told him today about the engine light and he seemed to think that blocked converters might cause the problem. He said he would disconnect the exhaust today and see if that was preventing the engine from turning.

Sound plausible?

Reply to
Seymore4Head

He needs to take the belt off to make sure that one of the accessories (alternator, AC, etc.) didn't seize. That's what comes to mind with the word "spongy".

The converter code at that mileage probably indicates a failed converter, and nothing else. If not, it's probably one of the O2 sensors.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Thanks for the advice. I will pass the info along to the mechanic and hope taking the belt off solves the mystery.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

What code was it?

Okay...

A clogged exhaust would indeed prevent the engine from turning, and it might destroy an engine too. But at this point you basically have no information about anything. A compression test might be a good first step although disconnecting the exhaust is not a bad plan either.

It would sure be nice to know what code it was pitching...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks

I don't know what the test code was. Sorry.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:nqnegv$7fj$1 @panix3.panix.com:

No a clogged ex would NOT prevent it from cranking over or even starting for a very brief time. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

The guy I picked for a mechanic is honest, but I don't think he is very competent . He has had my car for about 3 weeks. I went to him Monday and he offered to buy my car. We agreed on a price and he said to give him until Friday. I had told him that I had asked in an Internet forum about what could be wrong and suggested he take the belt off. He said that was a good suggestion and he would try that.

I went back today and he said he had been so busy that he had not had a chance to try taking the belt off. We went out to the car and he took the belt off and the engine was free.

He then said the problem was the AC compressor.

Thanks for you suggestion.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Maybe not so honest? If he offered to buy your car after he told you the engine is seized, it's not certain, but it's likely he already knew what was wrong, and was trying to pick up a perfectly good car for cheap. It's a very common scam.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

If his intent was to make me think the engine was locked, why do you think he would take me with him remove the belt with me watching?

Reply to
Seymore4Head

At that point, he had no choice. You were going to find out no matter what, so it made no difference. But all I know is what you've said, so you have a much better idea if he's honest than I do.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Bill Vanek wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think your first assesement was correct, honest but maybe not the best of mechanics. I think he was just trying to buy his way out of a unwanted situtation if his price wasn`t real low. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff