Isuzu Rodeo fast idle

We have a 1997 Rodeo with the 4.2L V6. It idles too fast. Things we have done include replacing the "idle motor", which is actually a solenoid. That only cured it for a short time. I have tried lubricating throttle linkage and throttle body, to no avail. Strangely, when the battery was disconnected for an unrelated problem, everything was fine for a few hundred miles, then the idle speed started to creep up again, to the point it idles at about 2200 rpm. This is not a good thing considering we take it up mountain roads occasionally. Even changing down a gear, the machine wants to run away on long down grades, leading to me having to ride the brakes way too much.

Reply to
GeeBee

Checked for vacuum leaks?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Air AFTER the MAF will cause a high idle.

Reply to
Steve W.

GeeBee wrote: (1997 Rodeo 4.2L V6)

It idles too fast. We replaced the IAC and that cured it for a short time. Lubricat Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Air AFTER the MAF will cause a high idle. ___________________________________________________________

Yes, the first thing to suspect is a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum lines for cracks and tighten throttle body mounting screws. NOTE: The car previously had the same problem and a new IAC fixed it. It is possible that the new IAC is failing.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan