Jeep Alternator / Charging System

My son's 91 jeep Cherokee/Laredo broke down yesterday because of a lack of electricity. He mentioned on the phone when he called that the voltmeter on the dash was down around 9 volts. So after getting it home and charging the battery, I had him start it and then removed the negative cable while the engine was running and the jeep quit immediately once I lifted the negative cable (used to be one of the easiest ways to rule in or rule out a charging system problem).

As it turns out, the regulator is internal to the alternator and my big question is, how do you replace the alternator on this vehicle? It doesn't look fun or easy from any level (under the fender well, under the car, from the top)... Hoped that someone might have a manual and wouldn't mind looking it up or otherwise, find someone that has replaced one of these alternators. It's located below the AC compressor on the passenger side.

It's been kind of a fun rig for him but he's to a point where he wants to get the charging system running and then sell the vehicle. Any help is very much appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
cover

Just FYI, removing the battery cable on newer vehicles 'usually' ends up costing thousands of dollars because all the computer parts fry almost instantly with unregulated power.

My old tenant had a so called High End stereo shop install his and they left the negative battery cable loose. This fried the alternator, stereo, distributor pickup, coil and ignition module on his 92 Cherokee.... Then the same shop did it a second time to him. He was suing when he unfortunately passed away.

I would first verify the alternator still has a ground path. Jeeps are notorious for losing that.

I test it with a battery booster cable that I run from the battery negative to the alternator 'case' to see if the voltage jumps up. I then take the booster to the vehicle body and engine block to see if there is any difference.

The alternator bracket is bad for losing the connection where it bolts to the block. The body is bad for a mesh ground strap that rots between the engine head and the firewall on the 4.0 engines.

When I change those alternators, I leave the belt adjuster alone unless I am changing the belt too. The adjuster is a pain and is over under the PS pump with a sneaky set screw holding the long adjuster bolt. When the alternator comes off, the belt loosens, when the alternator goes back on, the belt goes back the same.

The alternator comes out the bottom. Down with a twist.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> My son's 91 jeep Cherokee/Laredo broke down yesterday because of a
Reply to
Mike Romain

DUMB! If the alternator (and much of the electronics) were not dead already, they will be after that trick. Never, ever, remove a battery cable with the engine running.

So you *know* it is the regulator? You can't tell that from disconnecting the battery, but then what the heck...

Reply to
PeterD

Nope, don't "know" that. Only going on what the parts houses said when they quoted a replacement at ~$140.00 for a rebuilt.

Reply to
cover

Thank You Sir... Will look at some of the things you mention, maybe luck out and not have to change it.

Reply to
cover

I'm sorry I can't help you with the alternator question, but I would like to say:

Please be careful working around the battery. Anytime you are charging an automotive battery, there is the potential for explosive gasses. Pulling any cable off the battery that could create a spark is asking for an explosion- which I have seen twice, and don't care to see again.

If you want to check for a charge or draw on the battery, you should check out an inductive amp-clamp type of meter. It will tell you exactly what is going on, very quickly.

Please be safe!

And, good luck, Clay cover wrote:

Reply to
Clay B Carley

Do you happen to remember if the battery and battery tray need to be removed? Looks as though access to that top bolt would be much easier if they were removed THOUGH... removing them is a pain in the butt. :-)

Reply to
cover

Why not, Old John? If for no other reason, insurance costs too much when they hear the word, 'jeep'. ;-)

Reply to
cover

I recently stripped a Cherokee engine bay down in prep for replacing with the engine from our current rustbucket, but had to get rid of it instead (the local government had a warrant to come and steal it so I sold it first because I didn't have time to finish it) and don't remember having any problems at all removing the alternator which I kept for a spare. I left the battery tray in.....

I do have various extensions for my air powered socket wrench....

If you are bent on selling it, what part of the world are you in, what shape is it in with how many miles and how much?

Mike

Mike Romain