Jeep Cherokee won't start

My '90 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 refuses to start. When I turn the key the starter or solenoid makes a humming/buzzing noise, like it's trying to turn the engine without success. However, with the headlights on they only dim slightly, not at all as much as normal. So I got my jumper cable and connected one end to the battery (+), and the other to the solenoid. Connected to the smaller wire it was just like turning the key, but touching the "out" terminal (going to the starter) the starter spins right up, except it doesn't "grab". The same thing happens when I connect the cable to both.

My logic tells me that the solenoid is bad. Any way to make sure without removing the starter from the vehicle? Also, if that's the case, can these be fixed, assuming the starter is ok, or do I have to buy a new one? I've never had this problem before, but it's been parked on the street for two weeks, and now that it's below freezing and snowing it won't start...

Thanks, Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

It's probably the solenoid, but before you condemn it, remove the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid and inspect it. If there's any green corrosion in the cable itself replace it. If it was OK but loose or the connectors look corroded, brighten everything up real well and reinstall, use lots of silicone grease on the connections to keep them from corroding again. If it still exhibits the same symptoms you need a new solenoid.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

forgot to mention, if you've got more time than money, you could try disassembling the solenoid (if that is even possible) and cleaning up the bore, plunger, and contacts. If the windings are still OK this will keep you going until you can afford a new one.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I would also go for the connections on the fender solenoid first, but your battery also sounds low.

When these connections are corroded, the alternator won't put into thee battery either.

The booster cable should have had enough to kick the bendex in if the battery had a good charge 'and/or' the connection down on the starter could also be dirty.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

From his description, I'm imagining a GM style starter with a solenoid with a fork that positively engages the drive gear, not a Bendix type as used on Fords, Studebakers etc. that throws the gear forward when the motor spins. In that case a) there wouldn't be a fender mounted solenoid, it would be on top of the starter and b) his explanation would certainly point to a bad solenoid (I'm assuming that he was hitting the big terminal that connects to the copper braided strap that disappears into the starter motor body.) Ulf, care to tell us where the solenoid is located? I think Mike and I are imagining two different sorts of starter setups.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sounds more like the GM type to me too... So.. I went to the autozone web site for a picture... sure enough, it's the GM type. Sounds like the solenoid is dead. Probably could get by just replacing the the solenoid.

Of course the reman pictured is probably crap, but it's the picture that counts.

Reply to
Brent P

You're right Nate, the solenoid is right on top of the starter. The wires and terminals are corroded, but since I'm bypassing everything with the jumper cable it shouldn't matter. I also connected the other jumper cable between the engine block and battery to make sure there was a good ground. The battery is fine, the headlights barely dim when I engage the starter. The question is, would a bad solenoid both limit the current to the starter and not engage the drive gear? Could a good whack with a hammer help the situation? I forgot to try that method... :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

yes, if it uses a fork to engage the gear and not a Bendix drive.

Yes, but at the risk of permanently damaging the windings if you do it too often...

What happens if you connect your jumper cable in parallel with the battery cable and then touch a screwdriver between the jumper cable end and the "S" terminal?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have crawled underneath the Jeep and touched all three terminals, in different order, on the solenoid with the positive jumper cable, both with and without someone turning the key to start. With the key turned and I touch the terminal going to the starter it spins without catching. Touch the small terminal ("S") and it sounds like the starter is trying to turn but can't, no different than turning the key to start. I've also connected the jumper cable to the hot wire going to the solenoid, makes no difference.

So, basically, I can run the starter by touching the terminal going to it, but I can't make it catch regardless of which terminal I'm touching, even with the key turned to start.

Right now I'm more convinced than ever I need a new solenoid... :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

That's exactly what it looks like, except not as shiny and clean... :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

The 1990 Cherokee 'also' has a fender starter solenoid/relay. Follow the positive cable, it will stop at the relay and a second wire continues on down to the starter.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Right, the starter relay is mounted just behind the battery, but it's only the Motorcraft starters that have the solenoid in the engine compartment AFAIK. I'm bypassing the relay using the jumper cable, and when turning the key to start the solenoid does get power which would make it very unlikely the relay is the problem.

Reply to
Ulf

lots of talk about the solenoid, but did you load test your battery and clean your battery terminals? the bendix could be damaged also. You will have to take the starter off to inspect that. Or the starter could be shot.

Reply to
boxing

Just a word of advice -- sometimes the battery cable can look perfect, even though it's corroded down inside. I've had it happen to me and I ended up replacing the starter two or three times before a mechanic friend figured it out. He ended up jamming the probes from a multi- meter a few inches down the cables to see that they just weren't carrying the needed current. We snipped off the last inch or two and everything worked fine. I wish we would have tried that jumper-cable trick first.

Jeff P

Reply to
jpolaski

Actually, I got it working again. Everything needed was a couple of hard hits with a hammer and the Jeep started right up. I suspect it was just lonely after not having been driven for so long, now the last few days it's started right up every time. :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Keep that hammer in your Jeep.You never know when you might need to get out and get under again. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin