Jeep, Mercedes diesel engine.

I read in the paper that Jeep is going to offer an optional diesel engine. It will cost about $2700. Mercedes diesel engines can last well over 300,000 miles.

Surprised that other US companies haven't offered a mercedes engine option.

Reply to
J J

Only one US company used to be under the same umbrella as Mercedes, and that company happens to build Jeeps. Supposedly there will still be some shared technology now that Daimler and Chrysler are divorced, but quite frankly I'd be leery of the complexity of a German diesel. The Benz Bluetec looks great when it comes to the spec sheet, but my GOD at what a cost in complexity! I'd much rather see a small Cummins or Caterpillar engine designed for the passenger car market niche. The big Cummins used in Ram trucks already has cleaner emissions and is quieter than most Benz diesels, imagine a scaled-down version of about 3 liters displacement.

Reply to
Steve