Jiffy Lube screwed my engine.

Recently the engine of my car got screwed becos of no oil. My mechanic discovered that the drain plug was missing. He said that it came out while driving and this would happen only if somebody hand tighted the drain plug. About two months back I had a oil change from Jiffy Lube. There is a good chance that somebody there did not tighten the drain plug properly. What can I do now ?

Reply to
Sanjay Kumar

My brother's engine suffered damage due to Jiffy lube installing his oil filter improperly. All the oil leaked out in about 3 days. He got his engine replaced (it wasn't a new engine but an engine from a junkyard car with the same mileage). It's running okay but it's not quite the same.

*shrugs*

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

E. Meyer

Two months ago?

Not a hope.

If the drain was loose, it would empty in a couple days, not months.

Have you really pissed off anyone recently, like neighborhood kids?

Mike

Sanjay Kumar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

yep, told many people this, "Fast Food is Bad For You" sure it's quick and easy and cheap, but replacing an engine tends to get expensive after a while.

IMHO stick with a reputable shop or a dealer. NEVER go to jiffy screw, vasoline, smallwart, or any other McOilChange

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

"Sanjay Kumar" wrote

Stop going to Jiffy Lube, and get your oil changes done by "your" mechanic. I'll bet he had a good private chuckle about this....

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Approximately 10/18/03 20:34, Sanjay Kumar uttered for posterity:

Stay away from Jiffy Lube. Odds of you being able to prove that they improperly tightened the drain plug are pretty slim...even though it is highly likely that this happened.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

The local Jeep dealer sends out coupons for while you wait oil changes that are actually $5.00 cheaper than Jiffy Lube. But even the normal price is within a coupla bucks.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

no warning lights?

usually when their is low oil pressure a light in the dash comes on, did you ignore this?

Reply to
Punch

Most dealers have comparable prices for oil changes. In fact, the recent purchase of a Chrysler product has _free_ oil changes.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
sanjay

Approximately 10/19/03 18:36, sanjay uttered for posterity:

Roughly how long did you keep driving the vehicle with the oil light on?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

here's a tip, if the oil light comes on, SHUT THE CAR OFF

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

"sanjay" wrote

No kidding....!!! I think you should buy the engine....never mind Jiffy Lube!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

And that mistake is gonna cost you. Hopefully others can learn from your mistake.

Reply to
Bob

The oil light came on and you *kept driving*?

You deserve to buy your replacement engine.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You're too stupid too own a vehicle.

Reply to
TCS

If he did have even a slight chance against Jiffy Lube before, it's gone now. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Jiffy Lube locked my keys inside the car the only time I was there. Yes, sitting in the bay with the keys locked inside. I was next door at Wendys eating so I have no idea how they did that.I came back and found some dumbass trying to use a coat hanger without any regard to my door seals. I told him to stop as it was obvoius he didn't know what he was doing. They had to call a locksmith. What a pain in the ass. They paid $48 to get it unlocked and didn't charge me for the oil change. I havent been back since.

Reply to
Akacguy6161

when the light comes on you are required to stop, do not drive, no wonder the engine is toast, you did it.

Reply to
Punch