k&n air filters

I put a K&N air filter on my 1999 Ford Ranger V6 at 60,000 miles. Truck now has 207080 miles. I think I have cleaned and reoiled the filter three times. Truck still doing fine. So far, so good I guess.

Reply to
woody

When I rebuilt our big shop air compressor, I added a K&N automotive filter because it was so much better than the original style and cheap too. Only took a few minutes of modification to mount well.

Reply to
AMuzi

I used them with a CAI on a 2000 Silverado. After 15k miles, took it off t o clean it and noticed dust in the intake tube. That truck was off road a lot and I ran sand dunes with it so it was extreme conditions but I'll neve r use another. No issues with paper.

Reply to
money2noise

Yep. I noticed the same in the folds of my street driven '97 Mustang's intake tube. Went back to paper. I don't think what is let through amounts to anything except over a very long period of time for a street driven car, but I keep my cars for very long periods of time.

Reply to
Brent

I too keep my cars forever (at least until not feasible to keep them anymor e). GM actually had a warranty exclusion clause on the use of oiled filter s. I guess if they are over oiled, they gum up the MAF and somehow burn up the transmission. I liked the noise that came out of it but saw no perfor mance or MPG gain at all.

Reply to
me

Testing has shown the K&N to be essentially worthless. At best you might gain 4 HP at WOT. Lots of people have experienced MAF malfunctions from the oil from them getting on the MAF wire. Tests show they do a lousy job of filtering the air compared to paper filters. Why switch from something that works well, a paper filter, to something that has proven to do a poorer job of the main thing you use a filter for, filtering.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher