Key fob Locking & Unlocking Problems on 2009 Buick LaCrosse

Hello,

Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.

Up until now, the automatic locking and unlocking via the key fob worked fine.

It has become, as best I can describe it, "flaky". Sometimes it works, sometimes it takes many presses of the button, sometimes it won't no matter how often I press it.

But the funny thing is that the unlocking of the trunk always works perfectly, as does the horn and lights flashing whenever I press to lock or unlock.

Put in a new fob battery, but still the same.

I think that it may not be the keyring fob transmitter at all, as the car has built in according to the Manual a feature where the doors all lock themselves automatically as soon as the car moves, and that this feature cannot be disabled. This, of course, has nothing to do with the keyring fob. It also has become "flaky" now.

Thought I would like to learn a bit more about how this system is supposed to function before bringing it to dealership.

e.g., is there one logic board that controls everything, or are there separate modules for each function ?

What is the most likely cause of the problem(s) ? Anything I can check out myself fairly easily ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Common problem with remotes are the contact pads getting covered with crud. The solution is simple. Take the fob apart. Clean the switch pads and the contacts on the board with some clean alcohol. Also clean the battery contacts and reassemble the fob.

Reply to
Steve W.

You need to find out if some door lock are working properly, while others are not. If that's the case, the door lock actuators inside the doors that aren't working properly are the problem, not the remote.

There has to be a door lock switch on the door panel or the console. Use that, and watch each door as you toggle between lock and unlock. If, on some of the doors, you see the manual lock knob moving slightly, but it's not fully unlocking or locking the door, or it's not moving at all on some doors, it's going to be actuators.

If it's the actuator(s), that repair is probably beyond the skills of an amateur.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

It's not a fob problem it's a known GM problem, ask them to check their TSB for that car. To reply to this message please remove the AT after the kgs1 in the reply to address. To a conservatist's it truly is a free country, YOU may do whatever they wish. KG

Reply to
KG

yes, GMs of that era seemed to have crap actuators, several cars in the company fleet at my last job had to have the actuators replaced, including one of mine... they seemed to act up more in hot weather/when parked in the sun. So that is a definite possibility.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Have same problem with my buick...have u found a solution

Reply to
williamserica1103

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 8:42:36 AM UTC-10, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

I'm working on my truck so I borrowed my dad's car (heehee) while he's in V egas. He has a Dodge Journey and the darn thing acts all kookoo when I use the fob lock button. I opened it up and the contacts are all messed up. I b ought a couple of key fobs on eBay to replace them. I have to program them and hopefully they will work like they're supposed to. They were only $22 f or the pair so no big deal if they do not.

Reply to
dsi1