Key stuck in 97 Accord EX

I have a 97 Honda Accord EX. I bought it used.. it had the Viper alarm system already installed, which I kept in in Valet mode since it kept going off.

Anyway, just yesterday.. I replaced the original stereo with the stereo from my 99 Accord. Today, I turned the car ON and when I turned it OFF, I couldn't take the key out from the car (it doesn't goto Lock position, I can goto position I, II, ON just fine). I can turn the car on/off fine but just can't take the key to lock position. The car IS in PARK.

If I disconnect the battery, I can remove the key just fine... but as soon I connect the battery, same problem again.

Any ideas? Is it related to the alarm system?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Deja User

The interlock from park isn't engaging which picks a solenoid to allow the key to be removed. Get a manual for the car and trace the circuit or take it to a garage that can trace it....

Reply to
Woody

Also there is a way to manually remove it which may be documented in your operators manual...

Reply to
Woody

did you knock the shifter out of whack when you took out the stereo? shove the shifter as far into park as it can go and then pull out key

Reply to
tomk

Thanks for your suggestions.. I figured it out. On the shifer, there is a flat metal piece with angled cut. I had to turn it 180 degrees. I guess I didn't install it properly first time.

Reply to
Deja User

but you didn't tell us you messed with the shifter did you???

Reply to
Punch