Kia Rio Experience?

I am considering purchasing a 2004 Kia Rio. Anybody have any personal experiences or opinions they'd like to share about Kia?

Reply to
Active User

I have no personal experience. I have read that the Korean cars such as Kia are still of rather poor quality.

Reply to
HLS

Hi, Only Korean car worth driving may be Hyundai. Also resale value sucks. You get what you pay for. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

And somewhere around the time of 02/03/2004 04:23, the world stopped and listened as HLS contributed the following to humanity:

I know a friend that had one...It was a total POS. He said the best thing that he ever did was total it.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Kia is a Hyundai subsidiary, I think.

Reply to
grunt100

Reply to
Frank Knight

I'm not sure when Hyundai took them over, but Kia's product line is completely different, except for their larger cars. The Optima and Amanti which are based on the Hyundai Sonata.

I have a friends who own late-model Hyundai vehicles and are very happy with them. (These are Sonata, XG350, and Santa Fe models.) I've driven them and was pleasantly surprised, especially considering how crappy the old Excels were.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Friend of mine just picked up two 2001 Elantras for $10K. Having only experienced the Excels I can tell that the Koreans have learned much about reliability and styles.

And the 10/100,000 warranty is nothing to laugh off. They're serious about staying in the game and it doesn't hurt that their parent in Hyundai Heavy Industries.

Companies like Hyundai are precisely why the North Koreans are getting antsy. They want the same type of economic engine but under strict dictatorial control but sadly for them it doesn't quite work that way.

Had an interesting on-line discussion with a South Korean woman a few weeks ago. She pretty much confirms what I've said.

Reply to
noname

I work for a company that does auto financing, and they won't touch KIA's. The resale value is not worth it in case the car needs to be repo'd.

Reply to
D Lawrence