kit cars or replacement body's?

Hi folks, PITA me again ;-) I remember a few years back I used to see magazines on kit cars some of which involved switiching the body off a VW Bug or Fiero for example. Do such companies still exist? I had horrid luck searching on the web finding mainly info for companies in the UK, I am searching for companies here in the US and also curious if any such Body replacements are available for older Hyundai's and other inexpensive import cars? I figure a 10 year old Hyundai with beat body and good mechanicals swap off the Body and replace the interior and have a nice lookijng car for not alot of $$$ Am I insane? ;-)

Thanx

Reply to
Otsinekwar

No, you are not insane. There was a particularly interesting one in the UK which made a Porsche

550 type body that fit on a Skoda. (Yes, the Skoda was a powerhouse in European rallies, and can now be bought for a couple hundred quid. or less.)

The magazines are still around and there are still kit car bodies in the USA. Most of the American ones focus on the Cobra bodies but there are others.

Reply to
Larry Smith

yes they still exist. did you type kit cars into a search engine?

anyway for the lazy people look what number 1 was on my search:

on and on....

Reply to
Punch

It also depends on how the body and chassis are contructed. Most small cars are built as a single unit, and the suspension and engine bolted to them. I doubt you will be able to separate the body from a Hyundai and put on a new body. Most of the kit cars, except of the VW replacement body types, are full kits, except you need to supply the engine and running gear. They also call for specific engines, trans, etc., so you just can't just slap a body on any chassis.

They are not cheap either. For what you would invest in one, you can buy a new car. Besides, who wants a sporty car that runs like a 10 year old Hyundai?

Reply to
D Lawrence

How about alt.autos.kitcars ?

- JG

Ots> Hi folks, PITA me again ;-) I remember a few years back I used to see

Reply to
Jeff Gross