Krown Rust Control Damaged Plastic and Rubber Parts

I have been spraying my cars with I have been spraying my cars with Krown rust control for about 16 years, the first one was Mazda 323

1988, it is true when the car was scraped 1n 1998 as the result of the accident it was very little rust on metal parts, but bumpers where a mess, they have been warped and I had to replace engine mounts in 1996, because they where completely melted.

Unfortunately I did not realize the cause and effect of this problem and continue Krown service with my 1998 Honda Accord, and what a surprise, surprise after 7 applications a number of plastic parts begin to exhibit the same type of damage as bumpers on my previous car. When I attempted to point this problem to Krown, theirs response was that their records indicate no such problem, and the only liability they willing to accept is 2 rubber gaskets under the hood, which Krown willing to replace, moreover if I choose to continue to spray my vehicle, no further responsibility will be accepted.

The total amount of parts to be replaced is about 1000.00 dollars not including tax and according to my mechanic it may take up to 10 hours of labor to replace.

So at this point I am not sure what is worse the cure Krown Rust control or the decease rust.

Part Number Description List Price

74121-S84-A00 SEAL RUB 08A09B 22.18 74143-S84-A00 SEAL RUB 17.64 75302-S84-A01 PROTR CO RE001 90.1 75322-S84-A01 PROTR CO 90.1 75303-S84-A01 PROTR CO 103.96 75323-S84-A01 PROTR CO 103.96 71800-S84-A00 GARN ASS 133.29 71850-S84-A00 GARN ASS 133.29 74101-S84-A00 FENDER R MUFF18 67.01 74151-S84-A00 FENDER L MUFF18 67.01 74111-S84-A00 SPLASH S 34.25 HOOD EDGE SEAL RUB 27.71 HOOD EDGE SEAL RUB 31.97 SUTOTAL 922.47 GST 64.57 PST 73.8 TOTAL 1060.84
Reply to
alexgla

People need to be smart enough not to spray rust proofing on plastic parts. At least the material can be cleaned from the plastic parts to prevent damage. And I don't think you have proved the case that this product is causing your problem.

Reply to
Al Bundy

If it is a problem then perhaps the rubber and plastic could be masked, sealed, or painted to protect them. Spray paint or undercoating might do it.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Hi

I have researched this in the past when I wanted to rust proofed my RSX (acura = honda). I found that indeed, it is well known that the light oil from Krown, Rust Check, and even Metropolitain Rust Proofing distord and extend the plastics and rubber seals of certain japanese cars. While you will most likely get testimonial to the opposite, I have seen it myself with my own eyes on a 1999 civic and 1991 integra. Also, check out the web site from Metropolitain Rust Proofing (see the French Forums), and indeed, people complained about this in the past.

(French)

(English)

This also caused some electrical problems for some people. Metropolitain told me (as well as Krown, btw) that if I am worried, they could paste some silicone gel on the rubber seals. However, I never went there because of this fear.

I did rust proofed my RSX, using oilguard and thicker grease/wax based product. Apparently it is safer then the thin oil for the rubber. I do the rest of the doors and quarter panels myself.

However, I think I will be rust proofing the car only every second year, for now on. New cars are made better now and do not rust as much as they used to.

I am amazed that Krown is not honouring their products: they told me that this was a possibility. Go to small claim court with your mechanic.

Good luck

Frank

Where I'm at, 16 years of sunlight and ozone will eat the plastic and rubber off of anything.

Reply to
« Paul »

It depends on the materials. Acrylic plastic and EPDM and silicone rubber are inherently virtually impervious to them, and other materials can be made highly UV and ozone resistant. EPDM rubber is used for radiator and heater hoses but can be severely damaged by certain oils, including motor oil. Neoprene is used for vacuum and fuel hoses and is resistant to motor oil but is known to deteriorate from sunlight and ozone.

Chemical resistance information for various materials:

do_not_spam_me

Not likely to happen on the underside of a vehicle where the sun don't shine.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

Reply to
alexgla

I did not spray I did not spray either of both cars myself, the service was performed by Krown personnel in their head office on 245 Creditstone road and in this case there are 3 issues that are important:

  1. Krown compound is fatal for rubber and plastic parts on both my cars
  2. Sloppy application that allowed compound to be leaked on this parts
  3. Krown treatment of the loyal customer, who brought the problem to their attention

Moreover, this is just the beginning; it is my intention to prove number 1 beyond reasonable doubt.

Reply to
alexgla

Ozone is everywhere.

Reply to
« Paul »

A great deal of UV is reflected off the driveway, and shade reduces the intensity only by a factor of 4-5, less around the perimeter. Identical materials under the car have been known to fade or deteriorate noticeably more than those inside the engine compartment.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I was referring, of course, to sunlight. I suppose if the particular rust treatment acted as a catalyst then ozone could be the problem.