Labor Time R&R Thermostat 2000 Passat V6

Hi

Does anyone know what the Labor time is to Remove and replace the thermostat on a 2000 VW Passat V6? From All Data, another source or experience?

Is there anything else I should have changed at the same time? The car has about 80,000 miles? The timing belt needs to removed for the job, should I expect to pay extra for the timing belt?

How about the water pump? What would the reasonable additional time be to change out the water pump?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

I have yet to do one. Hi

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

From MOD: TStat 3.2 hours

Water pump 4.8 hours HTH, Ben

Reply to
ben91932

OK tubeu ill give you an Idea of what is involved. Here is a list of the operations that must be done to get to the thermostat. This car must be put in service mode first which means the front bumper assembly must come off. The front fan and belts, and then the timing belt will then be removed to you can get access to the thermostat on the right front side of the engine, and don't forget the cooling system must be bled after the repair. 5.0 to 5.5 hours labor plus $150 in parts sound about what it would take. Can the thermostat be replaced without pulling the front bumper and all the front covers off. Yes but no shop is going to tell you this because the operation is listed with the above procedure. I would also have them replace the water pump, timing belt and timing belt tensioner idler pulley at the same time. They may suggest that you replace the hydraulic timing belt tensioner mechanism but I have seen very few of these fail, so I would decline it unless they see that it has collapsed. OK tubeu lets talk about 6.0 hours labor and about $600 to $800 in parts. My estimate is approximately $1500.00 job. I hope this helps. Mike

Reply to
mdsimon

$1500 for a themostat!

Holy Shit! Fucx that!

I Know I can do it in my driveway!

Reply to
Anumber1

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

This is why I prefer old and/or RWD cars/trucks.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My '89 Subaru, almost everything is reachable from the top!

I have never done a timing belt before. The Subaru 1.8L has 2 of them. I started on a Thursday, took my time, finished on Friday and it started on the first turn of the key.

Whopping total of $58...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Yes you can! lol

Read the write-ups, look at the pictures and you might want to get that specific tool to hold the camshafts if you are do>> >>> Hi

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The Passat has a longitudially mounted engine, just like your old RWD cars.

Reply to
LG
6.0 hours labor: OUCH.!!

Two hours in my driveway for my '2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Been there.

My '72 Datsun 240 Z was about 30 minutes. Been there.

My late wife's '68 Firebird 400 ragtop was also about 30 minutes. Been there.

Now, hope I never need to do the waterpump on the PF.. It's WAAAY deeper.

The guy who bought the FireChicken got from NorCal to LA and the water pump packed up. He replaced it in a motel parking lot before he put into a container for New Zealand.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

Dang, then why is it so hard to get too?? Sounds like poor design.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton There is also a tool to lock the crankshaft. Tubeu there is a shortcut to replacing the thurmostat, I would call import repair shops around your town and compair prices. An experanced vw tech will know how, and save you money. Mike

Reply to
mdsimon

Luck under the hood of a Passat and it may become clear. I have a Jetta where changing the timing belt is relatively easy. I looked under the hood of a New Beetle and nothing looks easy. Engine is mounted the same way in a Jetta and NB. Sometimes they wrap a body around an engine in a way that does not make servicing an easy task. I think they learned ideas from the GM Monza engineers of the late 70's.

Reply to
Jim Behning