Late-1970s to Early-80s GM Midsized and Compact Car Question

On GM's 1978 & later A-body midsized(of which I owned one), the backseat windows did not roll down. I recently found out that this was also the case with their X-body compact sedans.

Now I'm not asking about why they didn't roll down all the way. No. In the aforementioned cars, they didn't roll down at ALL - and no provision was present to roll them down - either a crank or power button. I'm probably the first person ever to ask this question on line.

What was GM thinking? Was it cost-cutting? Safety? Or something else? Weirrrd.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

In most of them it was due to the design of the rear 1/4 not having a way to mount all the crap associated with the windows. Plus it did save money as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

My recollection is that they did roll halfway down in the 4 doors. They only rolled halfway down because the shape of the body shell and door was such that there just wasn't room inside the door for the entire window to be rolled down and fit inside the door. I'm sure there were some two doors where the windows in the back did not roll down at all. My 99 Mustang's rear windows do not roll down at all, they are just fixed in place. Very possibly the driving force was as you suggest, to save money and that they could have made it roll down had they really wanted to. My 69 Firebird rear windows roll all the way down.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote: "My recollection is that they did roll halfway down in the 4 doors. "

Uhh, recall that I did mention owning A-bodies in my orig. post. Two of them - 4 door '81 Buick Centurys. Back windows rolled down in neither of those. Same on 4 door X-body Skylarks, Citations, and Omegas.

At Curbside Classics some people posted they think the reason was to preserve backseat hip room in the smaller shorter wheelbase 1978 A-bodies. The door armrests were scooped out of the back doors in those sedans, leaving little to no room for window roll-down mechanics inside the doors. Others think GM were just being cheapskates, trying to recoup R&D costs associated with the downsizing trend of the late '70s.

All plausible reasons, but no excuse to omit a common- sense feature.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Hey, we saved you $150 by putting in fixed windows. Now, can we interest you in the optional $1000 A/C system? :-)

Some guy named "Relton" says:

Sanity Clause

Sanity Clause wrote: "The fixed rear windows were the result of a mistake in body engineering. The door sheet metal people didn't allow enouigh room for a window regulator mechanism, "

Right. It all boils down to preserving the rear hip room present in the much larger Colonnade A-bodies these new 1978s were replacing. The shortish 108.5" wheelbase meant the rear wheel wells cut sharply into back seat width. So the only way to add hip room was to recess the rear armrests into the doors. Look at a photo of the back seat of any 4-door

1978-87 A/G body. The armrest and handle are INSIDE the door. This left no room for the window glass, let alone any lowering mechanism, electric or manual.
Reply to
thekmanrocks

So mystery solved.