Leaking AC Compressor

I have a 1999 Dodge Intrepid 3,

The ac compressor is leaking thru the front shaft seal. Instead o

replacing it, can I replace just the front shaft seal.......I know can buy it..... how to? manual? tools

Reply to
vega

Try the compressor manufacturer for manuals. Sanden has everything available on their website, but I think that model still uses a Nippondenso. But they may have .PDF files of service manuals available also.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Mike Walsh

corrected the problem 15 years later. The bolts holding the compressor together were very tight; hard to loosen with the compressor off the car. You will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the system before charging it.

Because the Chrysler CARS continue to use Nippondenso compressors similar to the C-171 used throughout the 80s. The trucks and Jeeps, at least, switched to the Sanden SD5 and SD7 series in the early 1990s and haven't gone back.

But to be honest, the Nippondipsh*t compressor on my wife's car has only needed replacement once in 247,000 miles, which isn't bad for a Bic disposable compressor.

Reply to
Steve