leaking brake line

1989 Toyota Pickup Truck, rear-wheel drive.

Front disc brakes, rear drum brakes.

I use this vehicle on my property for hauling tools and dirt etc.

Last week, one of the brake lines sprung a leak, and I lost most of the fluid in the master cylinder. I still have some braking, but the pedal goes most of the way to the floor and is spongy.

There seem to be TWO brake lines, running side-by-side going to the rear of the vehicle. It is one of these lines that sprung the leak. Both of these lines go into some sort of small device at the rear of the vehicle. One line comes out of this device and goes to a second device. There are two lines coming out of the second device; one goes to each rear wheel. What is the purpose of this arrangement?

Can I simply crimp the bad line upstream of the leak, to prevent loss of fluid and retain full function of the front disc brakes?

Reply to
Ether Jones

I believe you are describing proportional check-valves for the braking system, not good to bypass them. Just get replace metal tubes, a cheap tube-bender, drop the original lines, bend the new to shape, compression fitting and nut, good to go.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

I have heard of others crimpint radiator tubes and brake lines, but my experience has never been successful at it. Brake fluid is very thin and slippery. I suppose a guy could try to solder it closes at the crimp, but why. Fixing it is quicker.

Reply to
Al Bundy

that is a valve used to very the braking force in proportion to the weight in the bed of the truck. dont bypass anything just replace the lines autozone and checkers sell brake line with fittings in various lengths and sizes just take the leaker off buy one thats close bend install and go..

Reply to
pigcharger

Why are there 2 brake lines going to the rear of the vehicle? Is this for redundancy, or do they serve different purposes?

Reply to
Ether Jones

Why not trace them back and see if each goes to a separate reservoir on the master?

Reply to
Al Bundy

I tried, but I don't have a visual the whole way. I'd have to take a bunch of rusted-on stuff off to see where they go.

What I need is a hydraulic schematic of this vehicle's brake system.

I had an old Haynes manual laying around and looked in that, but all it says is that the front and rear brakes are serviced by separate hydraulic circuits.

I googled around quite a bit looking for a website with a hydraulic schematic but couldn't find a thing.

If anyone out there has a manual for this model and year truck and would be willing to answer a few questions about the brake hydraulics it would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Ether Jones

"Ether Jones" wrote

I can't find a map of the lines, but the first "device" at the back is apparently called a "load sensing proportioning and bypass valve".

Bottom of page:

Here's a big picture of what you probably see under there:

The second "device" is likely just a standard T-union to run the rear brakes after the proportioner decides how much pressure they need.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

That is the line for both rear brakes then. The valve varies the pressure with the truck's load. If you crimp off that line, you will have no rear brakes.

Jeep pickups have the same thing.

Mike

Mike Romain

You are planning to replace the line that leaks? right? All you need is to get at both ends of the line you are going to replace. The old corroded line can be left right where it is if it is too difficult to remove. To remove the compression nuts on the end of the lines cut the old line with a side cutter right next to the nut and use a 6 sided socket to remove the nut (do not use an open end wrench and round it off). Make sure to route the new brake line so that it is protected. You can use nylon tie straps to hold it in position if the old retainers are too far gone to be used.

-jim

Reply to
jim

I think it's going to take more than that, like an impact wrench or an air hammer or something (which I don't have).

I've fought battles with rusted bolts&nuts before, and lost. This one is caked with rust.

I find myself wanting just to limp down to an auto repair place and handing it over and saying "here, you do it".

What's holding me back is cynical visions of them using a torch on the nut to loosen it, and ruining the valve in the process.

Reply to
Ether Jones

If you can get a good grip on it it will come apart. Failure will come from chewing the nut up to the point where there's nothing left to grip. Its rusted badly only on the outside not on the inside like an exhaust bolt.

jim

Ether J>

Reply to
jim