LED indicators vs actual transmission shifts

On cold mornings lately when I start my 96 Chrysler LHS (83K miles), ALL the L.E.D. indicators of transmission position (P N R D 3 1 ..I think) are lit up. I thought it was just an electronic glitch until yesterday when I took it out it actually failed to shift all the way into Drive. I brought it back home, and shortly after warming up the shift indicators were bahaving properly. So I took it back out, and it shifted properly ..and has been ever since. Are the "indicator" lights connected in any way to the transmission shifts? (since I believe the shifting of the transmission is somehow computer controlled in this car). Since the transmission has now been acting normally, was it a computer hiccup of some sort, rather than an actual transmission hardware problem? Advise

Reply to
M.Burns

No. "D", "2", "1", etc. aren't gears. The actual shifting is controlled with a different set of computer outputs.

Take it in and have them read the diagnostic codes.

Reply to
TCS

My 1997 Caravan occasionally has all indicators lit at startup sometimes too. Not sure why, but doesn't seem to cause any problems. Been doing it since new. Told the dealer about it a few times over 5-6 years but they could never get it to repeat the problem.

Reply to
James C. Reeves