Left turn light blinking frequency problem

My car is a 1994 Corolla DX with 168000 miles on it.

I just notice that the left turn light blinks much faster than before. It goes on and off for about 4 times a second. While normally it should only blink about twice a second, right?

The right turn light is normal.

Some time ago, I saw other people's car have this behavoir. Thought it was so designed. Now that my car has this behavior, I know something must be wrong, because it didn't do so before.

What might be wrong? Thanks.

Reply to
Author

You have a light bulb out, or a bad connection to the bulb. Your owner's manual will explain that the rapid blinking is a warning to you that a bulb needs replacement.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thank you very much. That sounds like an easy fix.

Reply to
Author

Rapid blinking indicates that one or more signal bulbs is burned out. Check 'em. The front and/or rear signal lamps may have multiple bulbs- ANY one bulb burned out will trigger fast-blink to let you know a bulb's gone.

Reply to
Steve

Author wrote: (1994 Corolla DX 168k Miles)

I notice that the left turn light blinks much faster than before. It goes on and off for about 4 times a second. Normally it should only blink about twice a second, right? The right turn light is normal. What might be wrong? ____________________________________________

Two times per second is about right.

The blinker switch pulses slower when less current passes through it as a result of a thinned bulb filament or a corroded bulb socket, or a poor ground.

The switch pulses faster when too much current passes through it due to a short circuit, sometimes inside a bulb between brake light and parking light filaments.

Another cause of rapid pulsing is installing the wrong bulb. A high-intensity brake bulb will draw higher current that the stock bulb, resulting in faster blinking.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

If your car has the typical thermal breaker turn sig unit, then a short will heat the bimetallic strip faster and you will see faster switching. A blown bulb will make the turn sig unit work slower. Look for a short in the bulb, the bulb socket, the turn sig switch in the column, or in the wiring.

Reply to
Paul