Lesabre 2002 dome light flashing and staying on

It never happens when the engine is running, but when on battery the dome lights flash about every 2 seconds, and after locking the doors they stay on for a long time when normally they would go off and the headlights would stay on.

I suspect they are controlled by a board with many major functions that would cost a fortune, but probably needs a resistor.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You should have a switch or set of buttons up by the dome that select "Door-Off-On" or some such. Rock that switch back and forth a few times or depress the buttons (depending upon which is up there) to clean the crud off the contacts.

If that doesn't solve it, check the door switches themselves(spring loaded on leading edge column of each door).

Beyond that, the haunted-electrical- experts on this board may be more helpful. :)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

There is no directly wired switch on the Lesabre. It's all CPU controlled to go on with the remote unlocking, and off with a timer, regardless of what you do with the buttons on the light. And the flashing is too constant in frequency to be anything mechanical.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Does this have any after market stuff like remote start or alarm?

If not I would suspect the BCM has an issue with the interior light timer/RAP system. A good scan tool might be able to show you if there is a problem. The BCM can have codes that don't set the SEL on.

Reply to
Steve W.

Sighh..

There's your problem: "CPU controlled"!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

No.

SES did go on a few weeks ago. It was a misfire. He cleared it and it came back a week later, so I guess that means an occasional misfire, but maybe something else now.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Misfires can kill the cats if they dump enough fuel.

My bet is you have either a bad connection on the BCM or the BCM is failing. It is a common failure item in the 2000-2004 years. The first GM TSB on it says to clean the ground connection for the BCM and the other says replace the alternator IF the issue happens while the engine is running. I've seen a lot where neither of these do any good. Keep in mind that a new BCM will need to be flashed to match the vehicle and it's options.

Reply to
Steve W.