Let's talk tires ... 1998 Saturn SW2

Fairly soon, I'm going to be getting new tires for my 1998 Saturn SW2 (the wagon version, for those who aren't familiar with the lettering system Saturn used to use). I have several questions that I would like to get answered here before I do that, though.

-- First, I wanted to ask about the (obviously non-OEM, cheap-o department store brand) tires currently on the vehicle. (I bought the car used a little less than a year ago, and these are what was on it at that point.) Does anybody know anything at all about the "Primera" or "Regul Select" brands of tires? I have Googled and Yahoo'ed in vain trying to find out about these. (It's got Primeras on the front and Reguls on the rear.)

-- Secondly, size does matter: at least the crap tires on there now are the OEM size, which is P185/65R15. I have done some playing around with tire calculators online, and it turns out that P215/50R16 is an almost exact match diameter-wise (it will keep the speedo, odometer, etc. within 0.04%, which is negligible). Aside from what I've already heard about wider, lower-series tires gripping better and giving a slightly rougher ride, and bearing in mind that I have had one P215/50R16 successfully fit-tested at a tire shop already, can anybody tell me what other pros and cons there are to P215/50R16 as opposed to P185/65R15?

-- Thirdly, does anybody have any particular recommendations in either size? It seems that P215/50R16 is an odd size and not too many tires are made in that size, but there are a few; I'm leaning toward the BFGoodrich Traction T/A with a V speed rating if I plus-size. If I stick to the OEM size, what brands/models would y'all recommend?

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Larry Harvilla