Lets break down the heavy fuel passenger car market penetration issue into smaller, edible chunks

no dude. fuel tanks are sized for endurance, not to maximize storage. there's absolutely no point having a shopping cart with 2000 miles endurance - typical range of a u.s. spec gasoline vehicle is ~300 miles real world. you could easily double fuel storage on most vehicles if you utilize otherwise unused volume under seats, etc.,

bullshit. vw golf synchro sold in canadia - that's snow belt with a vengeance. look at some of the non-imported japanese stuff too.

bottom line, there are some great super-diesel vehicles out there, including small pickups, 4wd minivans, that we never see. [frod transit connect is diesel in every market except here.] and we'll never see them because they don't suck enough gas.

Reply to
jim beam

Onto the insulated gas tanks. Sure, you have space that below the cargo floor for a smaller (due to low temp insulation) capacity diesel tank. How would you suggest to do it in the cramped quarters of a compact car with an ever more fierce competition to provide more trunk space (at the expense of the fuel tank capacity)

lest we not forget the shift towards diesel-electric hybrids (huge battery also takes space u know)

me thinks the tank volume is an issue even on large SUVs and pickup trucks let alone [sub]compacts.

there is no freaking way to make a [cheap] subcompact for US snowbelt market running on diesel.

Reply to
AD

odd, I thought V6 turbodiesel owners buy them specifically so they don't have to spend all their time at gas stations

and how would you explain shit like fuel sipping shitcar from toyoda available for sale stateside then and then there are diesel vw that are available in the states

how is that diesel car of yours coming together?

Reply to
AD