Lifespan of 99 Chevy Prizm

I'm considering buying a 99 Chevy Prizm LSI, with 1.8 L engine and auto trans with OD. It has 120,000 miles on it. Do these cars last to say, 200,000 miles ???

They're asking $4,395 !! I'd offer less, of course.

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

If it has been taken care of that car can go to 200k easily.

Any used car is luck of the draw. The biggest problem with a lower end car like a Prizm is that these cars tend to attract a buyer that can't afford anything better. Nothing wrong with that, but that buyer who can barely afford the car payments isn't likely to have followed the routine maintenance schedule or kept up with needed repairs. Many times they are selling the car because, even though the odometer doesn't show it, the poor thing is just falling apart.

Look for something that you can buy from the original owner and size them up first. If they have 10 kids and used appliances on the porch this probably isn't the car for you. Look for a car with maintenance receipts.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Ditto the previous comments...but...I'd be offering about a THOUSAND less than that.

go to kbb.com and check the value.

You can get a lot newer car with less miles for that kinda $$ if you shop around.

FWIW, my 99 taurus duratec with 91 K is about a $3800 car.

--Don Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer