Lightwieght 3 wheel car?

Hi all...

Forgive me if this is somewhat off topic....

First, I am trying to remember the name of a 3 wheel motorcycle/car that a few hundred to perhaps a few thousands that where made in the 70s/80s?....

They had an enclosed shell, one front wheel (I believe) and 2 back wheels...and I think the 2? passengers sat one behind the other..... anyone remember the name?

My other question is.....what kinda of horsepower would you need to provide ACCEPTABLE acceleration of such a lightwieght 2 passenger vehicle....in other words not FAST acceleration, but enough to not be the slowest car in the pack when the light turns green....

And given XX horsepower.....roughly how many pounds would an XX horsepower engine wiegh?

take care

Blll

Reply to
BllFs6

Bond Bug?

Ciao Zak

-- ========================================================================

Searchable database of 10 000+ car specsAuctioning motoring-related items at eBay?

Zak McGregor

thanks Zak...

though the one im thinking of ISNT the bond bug.....

The one im thinking of has the same general layout though it was lower, probably a bit longer and definitely more streamlined....

More like the front of a "roundish" jet fighter cut off, and a wheel placed on the front and 2 placed in the back

take care

Blll

Reply to
BllFs6

Either the Henkel or the BMW Isetta - they show up occasionally on eBay.

Regards,

Marv

BllFs6 wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

"BllFs6" wrote

Here is a new one:

More than 250mpg, 290kg, 8.5 hp, 120km/h topspeed, drag index 0.159

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

Not the BMW Isetta. Thats 2 front and 1 rear wheel. OP looking for 1 front a 2 rear wheels.

Marv Soloff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

And now I correct myself. The Isetta had2 front and 2 rear wheels, with the rears being much closer together than the front.

Mike Behnke wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

The Reliant - made in England. Fiberglass body.

Regards,

Marv

Mike Behnke wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

|Hi all... | |Forgive me if this is somewhat off topic.... | |First, I am trying to remember the name of a 3 wheel motorcycle/car that a few |hundred to perhaps a few thousands that where made in the 70s/80s?.... | |They had an enclosed shell, one front wheel (I believe) and 2 back wheels...and |I think the 2? passengers sat one behind the other..... anyone remember the |name?

I think I know the car your are thinking of. I had read articles about it at the time, and saw one on a car lot in Watauga TX a few years ago. The configuration is two front wheels on "canards", inline seating, and the back end of a motorcycle (your choice) for the single rear wheel drive & suspension. The driver view was exactly like a fighter pilot, and performance was reportedly very close to the sport bike it was based on, weighing only a little more than a bike. Unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Doy by any chance mean the Messerschmidt ? They came in two versions I don't remember the model nos. but were around in 1955 when I was in Germany on a business trip, there was one in the loby of the officers club at Ramstein. Always sort of wished I had one. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Hmmmm.. Was it from the UK or Europe? There was a Bond car, which had a Villiers engine as I recall. But I do think they were earlier than the 70's.

Take care.

Brian Laws>On 11 Dec 2003 14:28:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BllFs6) wrote: >

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Reply to
Sam Soltan

There were a bunch of them over the years. Maybe the one you're thinking of is on this site:

Regards,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Some of Mr. Riley's designs were used in the movie "Total Recall" but I don't think any of them had inline seating... the Trimuter has one front wheel and the Tri-Magnum has one rear wheel.

David

Reply to
David Courtney

Here is one that claims 70 mph on 25 electric hp

Reply to
Charles Erskine

How bout do a search on google images on the "litestar" or "bd200" or "autocycle" by Bede (of homebuilt aircraft fame or infamy)- essentially a 2 wheel (with 2 Training wheel outriggers for slow speed stability) with tandem seating in the cockpit of a jet fighter like layout. Neat looking if a bit long using a motorcycle powerplant and aft section of said bike as part of the frame. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

vehicle....in

Reply to
Ron

In the sixties Messerschmidt made a tandem 3 wheeler with 2 front wheels and a single rear wheel. It had a clear plastic canopy that was hinged on one side.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

The Bonds started off with a 197cc Villiers engine then to a twin 250cc when the Bond got to either a Mk F or Mk G (I forget which) and finally in the last model before being taken over by Reliant Motors an 850cc Hillman Imp engine. After the reliant takeover they made a Reliant designed model called the 'Bond Bug' with a Reliant 750cc engine.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood