Lincoln Mark VIII Power steering noise. Pump or hose?

I went to start my car and my steering wheel was stiff and there was a loud noise around my serpentine belt. I replaced my power steering hose, but the attachment was non-standard and I asked a piping shop to help me rig a reasonable fitting. Then I started my car back up and the problem seemed worse. Maybe the hose attachment is not quite right, or I just need a new pump after all?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated and I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Reply to
Susan72

I don't understand why you custom made a p/s hose??? Maybe the serp belt came off, broke, or is frayed? Bad idler pulley? bad pump? bad rack and pinion? p/s fluid low? The last thing I would suspect is a hose - unless there is more info that was not posted.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Which hose did you replace, and why?

If you feel the hose you replaced while it's running, is the hose collapsed?

Is the serpentine belt happy?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey