Lincoln Town Car wheel explodes

My 2000 Lincoln Town Car wheel rim exploded on the interstate last night. Blew out a half dollar size hole in the middle of the tread area of the rim. This was in Bronx NY on 95. Never have I had a flat like this.........BANG. Managed to pull over onto the service road. As luck would have it a mechanic/part time roofer came by and offered to help. Said he never seen anything like it in his years of changing tires ect. Any ideas on why this rim blew a hole in the middle of the tread area? Aluminum?

Reply to
Nicik Name

Please describe the location of the hole better. The middle of the tread area is not the rim. Do you mean the edge of the rim near the bead?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Wheels don't have tread areas unless you are talking about one of those very old steel wheeled tractors.

Tires have tread areas and those are mounted on wheels. Whach are you talking about.

Won't hold the location against you.

Aluminum??? Aluminum what????

Please explain what happened in detail.

Reply to
John S.

You got shot?

Mike

Nicik Name wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Quit buying Fords and stuff like this will stop happening.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

My guess was miniature land mine...

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Yea. Buy a Dodge and the ball joints will fall apart. (C'mon Dan. They all have problems....)

Reply to
Kruse

No.Not the bead....In the middle of the tread area of the wheel. No hole in tire. Did not run over anything.

Reply to
Nicik Name

Thats what first came to mind. The blow out was the RR wheel. If it was a bullet then it passed under the left side of the car between the front wheels on a diagonal on the way to the RR wheel. The bullet after making the hole in the rearward section of the wheel then runs out of steam and never punctures the tire. Or the bullet hits brake components ect and shrapnel causes the blow out I did see a very small bulge/tear just off center in the tread area of the tire.

Reply to
Nicik Name

"Nicik Name" wrote

That's where you're confusing people. Wheels don't have tread. I assume you mean the middle of the rim (the round part) between the beads (tire seating areas). Okay, where the tread WOULD be if the tire was flat and all the car's weight was on it. :)

Could be a big rock or something got tossed up into the inside of the wheel while you were driving, started rolling with it, and got wedged between the wheel and some brake or suspension part, tight enough to knock a hole in the rim. Do the torn edges of the hole show if the missing chunk was knocked in or out?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Lets see: A Lincon Town car in New York.

Is the OP in the witness protection program?

;-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"MasterBlaster" I assume you mean the middle of the rim (the round part) between

Okay, where the tread WOULD be

The area arround the hole very very slightly bulges out. The edge of the hole is chamfered out away from the hole. At the time of the blowout I didnt see any hole in the tire. The mechanic has the tire I,ll get back to him when I get a chance

Reply to
Nicik Name