Liquid Sandpaper.

That stuff some people use for preparing painted wood surfaces for new paint.Will that stuff work ok for preparing my 1978 Dodge van for repaint? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

probably would do a half fast job, but what you really want to do is wash well with dish soap, then wet sand with 320 or 400 grit wet/dry paper (read the label on the primer you're using for exact directions)

Auto paint store might be able to recommend a deglosser product that is designed for auto refinishing, but I'm old school enough to still believe that nothing beats real sandpaper. Plus if your old finish is orange peeled, and you use a liquid deglosser product, you're putting new paint over an already orange peeled surface. If you use sandpaper, you're flattening out the old mistakes before your new paint goes on.

nate

Reply to
N8N

It is the old original factory blue (I hate blue) color.Van is in dire straits for a new paint job.I think I want to paint it a gold color. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If the paint's fully cured (which I'm sure a 1978 is...) a quick dry sanding with 600 grit is sufficient. Sand it, removed the dust with a water wash or solvent wash, tack it and paint it.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B