'list' of standard times for repair

"Gene" wrote in news:kcg5me$jrs$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Which translates to, "Out of many, one"...

Are you actually trying to say, "Caveat emptor"?

Reply to
Tegger

That site has value for estimating parts and labor costs for only some repairs, it is ridiculously far off and worthlessly misleading on many others. Perhaps it's a work in progress and will improve.

Reply to
Gene

Or - "Of many, one."

Hardly.

He wrote: " You are incorrect unless you mean a non standard "customer pay" operation, such as electrical system diagnosis and repair. "

My response: "E pluribus unum" meant that his electrically based reply was only 'one of many' examples that fit the category of procedures not necessarily accounted for by flat rate times.

Why is and how could something so easily understandable, particularly in context, be so difficult for some of you?!

Reply to
Gene

Book times for a 2004 Sonata with the V-6

Plugs - 3.2 hours. (reason is that you basically have to pull the intake system off to get to the rear plugs, same with many newer engines) Front struts - 1.2 hours each side. (includes toe adjustment)

On the rear struts the time for BOTH is the same as the time for ONE front strut. 1.2 hours. So the labor would be doubled.

Reply to
Steve W.

Same here. Hours I posted match up as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

I know with late '80's A-bodys (Celebrity, Century, Ciera, etc.) you could disconnect the dog bone from the rad frame and roll the engine forward a bit to get at the rear bank. One minute, but I didn't bother after doing it once because it didn't even buy the minute back. You just needed the right wrenches and patience. I had an '85 Cav 2.0 4-cyl. Had to disconnect the motor mount and jack the engine up a bit to get at one water pump bolt. Always thought the 6 was too big for the Cav engine bay. Looked real tight. Corsica engine bay seemed to be a little bigger.

Reply to
Vic Smith

"Gene" wrote in news:kcheah$k0n$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

But "one of many" is not how the Latin translates.

You're trying to say, "just one part out of many parts", while the Latin translates as "a whole made up of many parts", which is completely different.

Reply to
Tegger

Good catch. I was thinking book hours and wrote "flat rate". I did not even notice that until you mentioned it. No wonder I confused everyone.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Imagine my amusement in being "corrected" by a grease monkey cum linguist who was initially so thoroughly flummoxed by the obvious implication of a perfectly appropriately applied latin phrase, which, when spoonfed to him, then believed could only have but the singular meaning given it by a nation as its motto (Hint: Quo Vadis isn't solely the name of a movie). Kindly allow me to express my deepest appreciation and heartfelt thanx to you, Dr. Chomsky for, at long last, showing me the error in my ways and approach.

You can't teach what you don't know, you can't lead where you won't go.

Reply to
Gene

Tegger had it.

Unum is the nominative-case subject ( implicit verb). Pluribus is part of a prepositional phrase hence the ablative word ending. From many, [it is] one.

Reply to
AMuzi

Moe makes the motion, Curley, the bicycle thief, seconds it. Please stop, I can't catch my breath.

Reply to
Gene

disingenuous idiot.

Reply to
jim beam

Goes without saying, although I couldn't agree more.

Reply to
Gene