Locating a current sensor in a car.

I`m making a Miniature Current Probe for my oscilloscope as a learning experience. Some of the things I`m trying to measure is a signal from a fuel injector. I'm told that a current probe should be used to measure the injectors.

I`ve heard of a current sensor in automobiles. I`d never found one. Where could I find one in a car?

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus

Try asking in sci.electronics.design group.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Ontario

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Approximately 10/29/03 22:47, Ricky Spartacus uttered for posterity:

You can buy them from such as MCM Electronics.

Basically a current sensor is just a coil of wire with a resistor in series. As current changes in the thingie being sensed, it induces a voltage in the coil, which then appears across the resistor for display by the scope.

There are also DC current sensors, those are usually Hall effect style devices where the external DC current causes a current imbalance in the sensor, which is then usually amplified by an included high gain low noise amp. These tend to be a bit more expensive but reliable.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I thought maybe I could grab one from a car. Don`t know the right name but you could be talking about the ELD electromagnetic load detector. I`ve heard of this one near the battery fuse but it`s still a myth to me. Will also try what Mike suggested.

What if I used a distributor coil wounded device used to pickup induce voltage for the module? This device should pickup current, right? Will try electronic.basic.design unless it`s considered crossposting.

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus