Location of Fuel Filters in Dodge Ram Van

I'm working on a 1996 Dodge Ram Van, 3500 (1-ton) series, 360 V8, automatic.

Can anyone tell me the location(s) of inline replaceable fuel filter(s) for this vehicle?

Please reply to newsgroup, or email me at funkychateau at yahoo (not the "reply to" address).

thanks,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

There is no replaceable inline fuel filter on your vehicle. Its fuel filter is in the tank and is part of the pump assembly. According to DC, it is designed to last the life of the vehicle (or at least the life of the pump).

Reply to
TBone

On my '92 B250 it's on the passenger side on the frame rail just in front of the rear tire.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

It was there on the earlier models. The models after 1993-1994 have an integral filter inside the fuel tank. They are not considered as maintenance items.

Of course, they can be changed by dropping the tank, removing the pump and filter assembly, etc.

Reply to
<HLS

OK, I believe the consensus is that the filter is not serviceable, nor intended to need service. The fuel pump was replaced about two years ago.

Symptoms of the vehicle include stumbling and losing power after being driven for a mile or so. Sometimes the poor running occurs sooner, and sometimes it may make a trip to the store and back without incident.

In the past, I had associated similar behavior of other vehicles to clogged filters, it sounds like this is probably not the case here, as the filter must have been designed so large as to never clog?

Are there other "usual suspects" I should check? The CEL is not lit, and it does work (as indicated upon startup). Does this mean reading codes would be unproductive?

thanks,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

By the way, Martin, my Dodge Custom Van is a 1997 model with the 318 engine. It has been rather troublefree, economical considering the nice power level, and dependable.

I was looking for a trailer hitch for this van, and couldn't find any which was recommended or would fit with the 'factory step bumper'. Finally, I saw a similar van with a trailer hitch, and asked the nice lady if I could crawl up under and have a look...I got the hitch number, ordered one online, and installed it myself in about 15 minutes.

The manufacturer says the hitch application is not recommended, but I can tell you it works as it is, and can be further strengthened with the addition of a couple of fabricated brackets.

Maybe you never want a hitch, but if you do, let me know and I'll furnish the details. The responsibility for installing, using, and maintaining a hitch is yours. I take no responsibility for what anyone does in special applications of this sort.

Reply to
<HLS

Might you have gotten water into the fuel? Run the tank down and then refill with clean fuel, and add FI cleaner/water displacer/etc. See if that helps. (Now, I have seen people pick up literally gallons of water at stations where the tanks have flooded. If this ever happens, no amount of chemical additive will help. You have to remove the tank, clean it, and refill.)

Other possible faults include electrical, particularly ignition, fuel pump (yep, maybe again), crumbling vacuum hoses, and others.

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
Steve Scott

How do you recommend checking the converter?

BTW, this vehicle passed emissions testing (for TX safety inspection) at the end of July. Engine didn't run rough during the test, but if the converter were shot shouldn't it have failed the tailpipe test?

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Reply to