long block or short block?

hey guys i just bought a 2003 350z with auto trans and was looking into doing a racing engine build. i heard sgp racing was good so i was looking over there but they had long block and short block packages. i'm new to this so bare with me, ne clue on which is the one that matches my engine like i said i am new to this.

Reply to
gump87

We will bear with you (somewhat) lol long blocks have cylinder heads, short blocks do not...

You might want to look into some books first... Amazon.com might have something for the "nissan street racer".

Good Luck, Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

Reply to
James Drinkwater

Friend, you need to do a LOT of learnin' before you start wasting lots of money. "Long block" refers to a replacement engine complete with cylinder heads, valve train, etc. A "short block" is just the engine block with crankshaft, connecting rods, bearings, and pistons installed, waiting for you to bolt on YOUR cylinder heads with timing system and valve train.

Either will require you to install all your accessories (wiring harnesses, alternator, starter, PS pump, belts, air conditioning, and in some cases oil pan, valve covers, and other "tinwork") when you put it into the car.

Reply to
Steve