Looking at a car without key for doors - my options?

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a car but the ignition has been changed and that is the only key they have. They don't have the original key that unlocks the trunk and doors. Is it possible to have a locksmith somehow make a new key for the door/trunk locks? I have no serial number for the locks. I could change the locks for about $50 but I'd have to figure out how to get the trunk open (drill it?) and then I'd have 3 different keys (ignition, doors, and trunk). If they can just be rekeyed, about how much does that typically cost?

For what it's worth, the car is a 95 Ford Escort.

Thanks.

Reply to
dharrington89

I'd better add this before anyone asks.. no it's not stolen and it has a clear title - I already checked that out. Owner lost keys and never locked it - they used new ignition and key to start it.

Reply to
dharrington89

sure, take one of the door locks to a locksmith, that problem is solved. (just pull a door panel and it'll likely be held in by one of those horseshoe clips) Is the trunk lock the same as the doors or different? (been so long since I've been around a Ford I don't know how they do it) If it is different it might be the same as the glovebox lock, which might be easier to remove than the back seat (best way to open trunk, remove back seat and crawl through - *if* that will work in this car, not sure.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Lock for the trunk is the same. I actually have the same model car and am looking at buying another. Thanks and I'll look at pulling a door lock.

Reply to
dharrington89

I have heard/read about people who made their own keys.There is an old movie I watched on tv before.A locksmith got the proper key blank and he used a match or a candle to soot/darken the key blank.Then he put the key in the lock and he rocked the key to the right and to the left.Then he used a small file to file away the shiny areas on the key blank.He had to repeat the process a few more times, he made a key that worked the lock just fine. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

I was told by a locksmith to pull the lock in the PASSENGER side door & there will be a serial# on that lock cylinder that can be used to duplicate the key. Did this recently on a '90 4Runner & it worked like a charm. The trick is to use the 'passenger' side lock cylinder. dc

Reply to
doncee

I have gone to several different Dealerships over the years with all the proper paperwork for the vehicle and personal ID for me, and they just looked up the key number for me and punched that into this machine, gave it a shot and out came a new key.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > Hi,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Unless they recently changed it, you have 10 years (from the time of manufacture) to do that with a Ford. Then Ford deletes all info from their data base. I recently tried that with a vehicle of mine and was told that I was a couple of months too late.

Reply to
Kruse

Realizing the key to my 1974 BMW is somewhat worn, and actually at least a second generation copy, I went to the local dealer, gave them the VIN, and they got me a replacement original key in less than a week for $12. Shame on Ford.

Keep your key ID number somewhere safe, in the event that the manufacturer DOES delete that information.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Won't work on my 05 Caravan. Passenger side doesn't have a damn lock cylinder. Real PITA when running errands, since I refuse to carry that serving-spoon-size key with the fob on the head. Whatever idiot thought all that up should have to spend hours in a rainy parking lot with armloads of packages and a fob with dead batteries.

Reply to
aemeijers

Thanks for all the info - I hope it was useful to others who had similar issues. I've actually decided against buying the car as it had some extensive underside rust damage I didn't notice. Top that off with the key thing and it wasn't such a great deal anymore.

Thanks anyway - at least I learned something should I ever run into this issue again (or lose my keys!).

Reply to
dharrington89

Not a problem. You could have a new key made OR have them reworked to match the ignition key. Another option is to have ALL of them done to match a different key set.

On a 95, unless it is in real nice shape I would just have a new key cut, Just pull one of the door locks and take it to a locksmith to have a key made to fit. That key will fit the doors and trunk and glove box (if it has one that locks)

Reply to
Steve W.

I own a 1961 made in Germany Hercules Moped, Sachs two stroke engine and it has bicycle pedals on it too, it has sixteen original miles on it.Moped has a locking front fork.When I rode my Moped the first time, I forgot to remove the key.The left fork cleanly sheared off the key flush with the lock cylinder.I took my Moped to a lock smith.He fished out the broken part of the key and he made two new keys for me.I think it cost me about $30.00. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin