Looking for help changing integra alternator

Hey everyone,

I just got a relatively decent 89 integra for relatively nothing. All it needs is a new alternator, which I expected to be a bolt-out/bolt-in job.

I bought Haynes manual for the car and turns out the job is a little more complicated as the alternator is supposed to come out through the space currenly occupied by the left drive axle. I looked throught the manual and looks like before the alternator, drive axle needs to come out, which means I need to disconnect tie rod and lower control arm. When I got to the lower control arm section, the only thing manual said was that this task was "beyond the scope" and requires professional shop to perform it because it requires special tools.

That answer won't cut it for me, so I am turning for help elsewhere. Has anyone removed/installed lower control arm on the integra (first-gen I believe)? What special tools is the manual talking about?

Any hints/tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis M

[...]

Hi Dennis, this reply is probably too late for you, but maybe still useful (or at least to others in your situation).

I have recently changed the alternator on my '88 Integra. It can be done without taking out the axle, but it is quite an ordeal. You work from the bottom of the car. First yo got to disconnect all the wires from it (after disconnecting battery of course) and get all the bolts holding it out of the way. If you can move the alternator around, you're halfway done. You might need to remove the oil filter as well. Then it's like a puzzle - in a certain specific angle, it can be pushed out through the bottom (I thing right behind the axle, but don't remember now). You have to play with it. Have fun! I spent quite some time trying to get the sucker out, and almost just as much getting the new one in.

"Dennis M" wrote in news:dZPab.81814$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Reply to
Fellow Human