Looking for hints on diagnosing electrical problem in '67 Camaro

Hi All,

Until last week the charging system in my Camaro has worked flawlessly. I have it converted to a one wire alternator. All the power runs through an Amp gauge so I can always see when there's a load. Normally when the car's running and no accesories are turned on the gauge reads about 3 amps. Hitting the brakes will jump the gauge to about 15 amps for example.

I let the car sit for a week and when I went to start it last Saturday the battery was dead. I hooked up my charger and the battery responded well. I started the car Sunday evening. Once it was warmed up I noticed that there was a constant 10 amp draw on the gauge. That's about 7 amps too many.

I turned it off. I went to start it yesterday afternoon and the the battery, while still holding some charge, couldn't turn the engine over. On went the charger again till this morning. Again the car started fine.

I've disconnected the battery so that it won't discharge again.

Is there a way short of disconnecting every accessory to find the hidden power draw?

I looking for some better methods of troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks in advance,.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

Besides the obvious dead cell in a battery, if you think it is drawing extra load start by unplugging the fuses one at a time.

A dead cell in the battery will keep the charging rate up high though, so will a discharged battery. The alternator puts out more trying to top up the battery.

Mike

Roy Shroyer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You could try removing fuses individually and see if the same thing happens over the 1 week time period. Would take you a while though...

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Roy disconnecting the fuses for each circuit is the best method.

Reply to
saeengineer